It's ugly muddy out there, good thing have no-where need to go
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are We Wet Yet?

Post by Fowler on April 27th 2014, 7:59 pm

Not so much rain but the snow is still melting so, yeah, lots of water.  The rivers are still running high. The worst may still be to come as we are downriver and south. We've just gone through our local spring flooding. In a bit we'll be dealing with the meltwater from a ways North. Won't hit us but today I passed a house that was pumping out water. Looked like when the fire department is clearing water mains it was that much. Just glad we're high and dry (high enough anyways).

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on April 28th 2014, 1:44 pm

Here is has been raining for many days, then freezing rain and snow last night...still wet as could be. I imagine that nobody is surprised when it is stated that it will be a wet spring. Yeah, we know.

The rivers are high too. Just over to the west of us, there have been evacuations due to a possible wall of flood water waiting to burst through an old railway bed. They say that it is approximately 100' deep. We are far enough from this area that we do not need to worry, but it is an interesting recent development.
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on April 28th 2014, 8:18 pm

Finally quit snow/raining here this aft.

roads are starting to wash out. Musta been the eqiv of a 4 inch rainfall at least.

Lucky we were pretty dry going into fall last year or would be as bad as last spring. Tho over the summer they built up the worse spots and/or put in culverts
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog on April 28th 2014, 9:48 pm

Been having rain , sleet , snow since last week Thursday ........so tired of this weather !!
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on April 29th 2014, 10:59 am

And...we finally have SUN today! It is coming your way, Prairie Dog!
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler on April 29th 2014, 12:28 pm

Was I complaining about some flooding and wet and cold and snow?

Stupid me. Canada is the best place on earth to live!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-tornadoes-kill-28-over-2-days-1.2625256

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on April 29th 2014, 1:33 pm

I agree. I think about that and am thankful. I would rather have winter storms than those. At least you can be prepared.

I try not to think about those storms being here. I am so glad that we not have the frequency that they see.

I have been getting some emails that are telling personal stories about some of those who survived and those who are now gone as a result of these tornadoes. It is heartbreaking and amazing at the same time.

I remember when we saw the mamatus (spell check is not getting the spelling) clouds before the huge tornado that touched down in central MB. They were all across the sky...as far as the eye could see. Needless to say...we got out of town quickly because we knew that this meant trouble and had not seen the likes of that before. Later we found out that some destructive tornadoes (F5?) had touched down in western MB, and also in Elie. Not very nice.

I also remember a storm last summer. We saw one of those super huge wall clouds (they are very beautiful in their own way) and a funnel. We were trying to get home from an event before it might touch down. It never did, thank goodness. The sky was green, the clouds were ominous, the air seemed still, then there was a blinding downpour with extremely high winds. I was praying so hard that we would not get caught up in what was predicted. We had storm chasers up here waiting for a collision of 2 super cells.  When we got home, we found out that not too far from our house, one did touch down, although not a huge one...flattening fields, taking houses & garages off of their foundations, & taking down barns. I do not want to see those clouds (or that weird green) again, nor do I want to see something come out and touch ground.

http://www.ebrandon.ca/messagethread_photos.aspx?message_id=760773&cat_id=207

Pictures 10 & 11 are similar to what we saw, but we had a different angle on it. When we first started out, we were almost beneath the green part. It was eerie driving away and having it not seem to move (and it was!), and then spotting the funnel. From what I understand, when it doesn't appear to move when you are, it is coming toward you. I was not so calm, but my husband seemed to be. Good thing. It was nice when we finally were able to get out from under it all.

So, yes, as much as we do complain about our winters and cold, we could have worse. Thanks for the reminder, Fowler. I am still trying to not think of what might come this summer... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by niglefritz on April 29th 2014, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding pictures)
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler on April 29th 2014, 1:53 pm

We do get an occasional twister here but nothing compared to that. I think the worst I've heard about rolled a mobile home around. I also remember being assigned to clean up a greenhouse after one went but about 20 years ago. Metal greenhouse was twisted up as if it was made out of pipecleaners. One of the anchor posts was pulled out with a big ball of concrete at the end. Then the twister had crossed the road and snapped off telephone poles all the way down a street. Another greenhouse across the street wasn't even touched.

So yeah, nothing like we read about down there.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened on April 30th 2014, 10:14 am

The 10 cm of snow we've had over the past few days is all gone, thank goodness, and my plant starts are back out on the porch, covered by an old window. I wanted to burst into tears the other day!

Live like you'll die tomorrow, farm like you'll live forever.

Steadfast Farm
Sweetened
Admin

View user profile http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum