Got worms, going fishing!

Go down

Got worms, going fishing!

Post by Davinci on April 30th 2014, 1:39 am

Now that Hub and I have launched child into the world (poor world!) we keep saying that we are going to spend some time relaxing. Having fun. But when we are at home, we work. We do not relax here. There is too much to do. When we stay home and relax, we are just actually being lazy bums. So we have to leave. Well, what is there that we both enjoy doing? Fishing!

It wasn't always thus. When my dad was alive, he and I fished together a lot. Some of our best times were spent together on the banks of a creek. He was terrible to fish with. Once he'd caught his two allowed fish, he'd take my rod away from me, tell me to go sit in the truck since I had caught my limit and then he'd proceed to fish for MY two fish! I soon put a stop to that!

Or we'd be on the lake, trolling. I'd get the first bite and he'd ask me what lure I was using. I never knew. IT was usually whatever was on from the last time I went fishing. Then he'd have me reel my line in and he'd examine my lure with great interest and say, "You know, if they're biting on this, I think they're REALLY going to go after this lure!" Then he'd take my hook off, put it on his own rod, and give me something that he had kicking around the bottom of his tackle box. I lost a few lures that way before I caught onto this little ploy.

Aside from him steeling my hooks while pretending to be concerned and making me sit out so he could catch my two fish, we had some hilarious times. Usually hilarious only in hindsight, at the moment one of us was usually mad. Dad was a serious fisherman. Me..I was there just for the zen like act of casting and reeling, casting and reeling. I really do not care if I catch a fish. I simply love to stand on the banks of a slow flowing creek or river and see what's in the little pools and nooks.

When Hub and I first were dating he took me fishing and indulged my hook dabbling and pointless casting into water where no fish lived. But soon after we were married he announced that was tired of my ridiculous waste of time with a rod in my hand and wanted to do some REAL fishing and not this goofing around that I wanted to do. And thus ended my days as a fisherman. I did not fish again for year and years and years. Those words that took away all my joy, all my contentment, those words that made my pleasure in brookside dabbling into a waste of his time, they didn't go away. Even typing this now I feel that chill and withdrawl that happens to a spirit when the wrong words are spoken.

Over the next 25 years I can count on one hand the number of times I took up a rod and went fishing with Hub. I did do a little fishing, but it was alone, and it made me think of dad, who stole my hooks but never made me feel bad about not catching fish.

Fast forward to now and the kid is moved out and we either have to find a way to recreate together and not just work, work, work around here, or figure out why the heck we're married to each other! Last year we went fishing twice, and I loved it both times. Hub has realized that if he wants competitive, hardcore fishing, he gets to do that on his yearly camping trip with the boys. He realized that he spoke thoughtlessly and realizes that a mistake was made. That if spending time with me is what he wants then he has to let go of his cutthroat attitude about fishing and go with the flow. It's about being, not catching! To this end, today I built my worm bucket.

Last year I made a worm bucket. A 5 gallon pail with big wigglers I dug out of the early season manure pile. We have tried finding worms later in the year...forget it! By then it's hot and the worms are long gone, way down deep to find moisture and cool. But that 5 gallon worm bucket, which I kept shaded, moist and replenished the soil and food, it was a godsend! Need worms, there they are! In a show of good faith that we are making an effort to HAVE SOME FUN, I found a massive crop of worms and tossed them in the bucket. Must be 40 or more worms. I might even buy myself a Rubbermaid tub, that might work better. I commented to HUb as shovel after shovel turned up knots of worms, that maybe this is how we could retire. Worm income!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Got worms, going fishing!

Post by prairie dog on May 24th 2014, 9:06 pm

Reminds me of my father in a way , I started fishing when I was about thirteen I think and we would peddle the seven or eight miles to the Red or Rat river and fish from it's muddy banks , always watching for those snapping turtles that would sneak in when we had our feet in the water ......guess the wiggling toes looked like a meal ? But anyways , when I turned 16 and had my drivers I decided that my father should also fish ! I had heard that as a child he had done some fishing and he enjoyed eating fish ( always bought them in the winter from the locals who sold there catch which was allowed at the time ) so I told him one day that I was taking him fishing ! Bought him his license , had a rod ready and the worms I had dug out the day before , so off we went . I have thought often of those days , he so enjoyed it , we would sit for hours and just talk ......fishing took a second place , although when he had one on the line it was a different story ! . This lead to him enjoying fishing to the end of his life ,and some of my best memories were spent on the muddy banks of a river sitting on a chair and listening to my father talk and tell stories of his youth and life ...................guess that's why we were so close ?
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on May 25th 2014, 2:08 am

Prairie, there is something magical about fishing. THe memories I have of me and my father frequently involve fishing.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog on May 25th 2014, 2:55 am

? I guess ? I just got closer to my father because it was just him and me , coming from a large family that was a rarity .My son like /loves fishing and he wants to go constantly , but unfortunately my urge to go has dwindled it seems ? But I still have a date with a sturgeon ! caught a small one years ago and no one will believe me because I didn't have a picture to prove it ! Maybe this year I'll head back to the Winnipeg river and try it's deep depths once again ? you never know
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on May 25th 2014, 12:35 pm

Shoulda gone fishin' saturday ..... +30°C and no wind

sigh
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened on May 25th 2014, 2:31 pm

Ryan and I went fishing. I caught the biggest fish. I'd show you a picture but I can't, the fish doesn't exist.

The man, however, nailed himself some beautiful, massive pike and brought 4 home for the freezer. Now? Napping begins.

Live like you'll die tomorrow, farm like you'll live forever.

Steadfast Farm
Sweetened
Admin

View user profile http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down