?? where is everyone ???

Go down

?? where is everyone ???

Post by prairie dog on May 11th 2014, 11:19 pm

It was starting to warm up nicely here and now seems to have come to a complete stop ? Where are the posts people ?? talk to us , anything to get the ball rolling . Myself I am starting to see a chick or two from the bator from the turkey eggs that are coming my way . Finally some warm weather ! but very wet so here's hoping that the rain stays away for a few weeks ! Last year I was planting the garden at this time , although I actually saw people planting this weekend .........but they are on a ridge so it must be dryer and they also face a southern exposure .A few farmers starting seeding as well , but most areas are very wet due to the huge amount of snow we had this past winter .............but I heard someone say snow might fall on Wednesday ! here's hoping they are dead wrong . So start talking people
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ?? where is everyone ???

Post by ooptec on May 12th 2014, 1:43 pm

Pulled the rorotiller over the garden n fri. Fix the hitch and finish today w/any luck at all.

Winter (spring) onions are just poking thru as well as garlic. Garlic I leave for 3 years before I harvest. So it's a pretty big patch. Tho moved from top garden to lower which is way better soil as was a old corral back in the day so maybe garlic will be done in 2 years. Grow about a 9ft sq patch every year and that's pretty well enuf to get us from crop to crop. We use quite a bit. I just buy those big tubes of garlic in the grocery store for real cheap and that's what I use for planting bulbs. Last year my garlic bloomed and some got bulbettes, (pic below) But are supposed to take a extra year that planting cloves from bulbs but put them in anyways.

Hatched out, that are still alive, 2 gooselets, and 5 ducklets. about 10-14 more eggs to finish for more ducklets, Should hatch a few everyday now till done. Have around 10 goosie eggs that should start hatching in a week as well as about 6-7 turkey eggs same time. Setting goosie is overdue and she is the lady that has hatched successfully for 2 years now so will stick a egg outta the 'bator under her for last 3 days so she hatches at least one and maybe can keep introducing goslings as they appear and she'll adopt/incorperate. That or kick her out as her nest is where my big brooders are and didn't want to move chicks out there and throw her off, but will start backing up inside here for room. So if egg outta the 'bator trick doesn't work I'll move 'er somewhere else. Found out the hard way to let them all lay in a nest till one sets then move all but the setting goose's gander out of pen into the next pen then repeat when one starts setting there. Then I am out of pens and one is setting in the coop but if don't lock her gander in the immediate proximity they wander off to socialize as gets lonely all by herself.

Bedding plants are wanting to harden and get transplanted. Biggest are eggplant as started same time as hot peppers and will do them later next year. Hot peppers are good size and tomatoes are seeming right on timing. Flowers are just sprouting.

Put up feed already. Bought 2 mini-totes of pea screenings. Mostly splits and neighbor across road donated 6 mini-totes of wheat screenings. Kept all but 2 totes of the wheat and traded it for a wild pig in fall. Feed Wheat/peas 2/1 with a little supplementation of fat from butchering mixed w/dried powdered alfalfa and then put thru meat grinder and a small amt of layer mash few times gets bitterly cold. Seems to work well for the whole menangerie. So feed is in and that's a huge check off.

Do gardens next then ongoing firewood and fencing for rest of summer.

And that's how it rolls around here

cheers
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog on May 12th 2014, 4:33 pm

Nice pic's and very interesting info about the garlic
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened on May 13th 2014, 11:46 pm

I have been around but lurking. I have been battling a cold, job change and dealing with hatches, procreation (the ones between animals or the prevention of, not my personal procreation; well, maybe that, but that's nunya bizness!), and a new terribly painful doe goat. Do forgive me. I have noticed the ads are disappearing down the pages quickly and haven't inspired new members as of recent! I may need to change my tactics.

Live like you'll die tomorrow, farm like you'll live forever.

Steadfast Farm
Sweetened
Admin

View user profile http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on May 15th 2014, 12:16 pm

Prairie Dog, I got interested when you said you were seeing some chicks.

I have been trying to get a handle on spring cleaning (outdoors). Hub and I replaced a few rotted fence posts, hoisted up the hay shed and cut off the rotting post and replaced it.

We have lugged the Horse Daughter and various horses to a few horse events. SHe really needs to learn to do her own trailering.

I got my garden in, such as it is and even got my worm farm together. Gathered juicy worms from the manure pile and put them in a 5 gallon bucket, waiting for fishing time! I sure hope there is fishing time!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on May 16th 2014, 10:41 am

Well, here is a mish-mash of what is up here...

We are just barely starting to get some BCM eggs and have a broody silkie. I would like to hatch eggs from the ones (LB) who have decided that they are just not laying yet, not these other girls. Isn't that the way? If only things would come together...

I have put out ads that I am looking for Light Brahma eggs or chicks, but all I can seem to source is the hatchery (not interested in mixed colors), and some from 4 hrs. away, which means shipping costs and then his price of the eggs doubles as well, turning a $12 purchase into a possible $69 one. Sad We might just end up waiting on the other birds and hope the broody stays waiting...she was a determined girl last year. I told him if we go out that way at some point, that I will contact him to see if he has any eggs/chicks. We'll see. If ours lay, I would be happy with that, of course. Much cheaper and easier. Smile

I am starting to think that we might not have a garden this year. One of our former gardens is still badly flooded and will most likely need to be pasture for this year anyway. The other currently has a coop on it. I will see if it gets moved off this weekend. Only then is there a chance at some form of a traditional garden. My husband keeps talking about a hugelkultur garden experiment however, so I am good with that. It should help clean up some deadfall and give us more umph in the little space that we do have. Double duty is always good.

We will most likely be focusing more on other things than the garden, like renovating the poultry housing and cleaning up the house and yard. That is way overdue.

I might just have to keep planting a few little plants indoors for a taste here and there. We have now eaten a whole 3 pea pods worth of peas...oh so good to have a taste...and a bit of spinach and beet leaves. I planted some potato eyes just to see if they would grow just snapped off, and they are doing well. I might put these outdoors at some point, but right now, they are enjoying the sun coming from a south window. Along with those, I have a bunch of exotic plants growing from seed (passion fruit, etc). They would have done better if the toddler would have quit squishing down the "greenhouse" bags, but at least some have survived...

I am hoping that maybe this year we will build a TBH too. It has been something we've talked about for years now. Maybe this will be the year?

We seem to be too busy with miscellaneous things already. I am wondering what summer will bring.
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on May 16th 2014, 1:19 pm

What is a TBH? Tomato and Beer Hut?

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on May 16th 2014, 1:47 pm

Uh, nope we don't drink, so that is not it. To me, your guess would be...like a hunting blind where you sit and watch your tomatoes grow? lol I suppose some might do that.

Actually, it is a Top Bar Hive for honey bees.   If we ever get around to building one, we hope to catch some bees that need a new home. Our only real risk money wise would be buying the wood to put one together, that is unless we have enough stuff here to put one together, then there is no cost.
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on May 19th 2014, 11:43 pm

The building of my cabin started last week. Screw piles are in and sewage is partly in. I build my 3 above ground gardens, each is 4 by 8 feet and 12 inches high, hardened my plants slowly, still lost a lot. Oh well. I started way too early with seeding. Learning as I go. :-) But my herbs are doing wonderful. I put in potatoes too. Did anyone ever tried to grow sweet potato? I had a huge one, forgot I had it, and it started to sprout. So I cut it in 4 pieces and put them in the garden. Would be nice to get that growing.
Tomorrow the crew will continue to build my cabin and I will continue with my gardens.
So a little busy. :-)
Sassy

View user profile http://www.lpinemeadow.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler on May 20th 2014, 8:40 am

Finally had a gorgous Saturday to work with. Cut down a few trees that needed to go. Cleaned out a pen and got one lawn mower tuned up and running. Pretty good for me. I'm usually doing the lawn mowers 2 weeks after the grass needed to be cut.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on May 20th 2014, 9:53 am

We just had a full day of rain. The Assiniboine River is flooding a lot and going to rise more. It is awful in a way, but I am happy to see that. So many people (including the "experts" in their little offices in the city) said that the flooding would not be bad, I guess I wanted them to be proven wrong. We will see how much this makes everything rise in the next week as everything makes its way down. There will be more roads closing.

We have a few little cherry bushes to put in and some raspberry bushes to redo, but other than that, we were too busy doing all types of other things to put in a garden. It would have been way too wet here anyway.

Sassy, we grew sweet potato before. We got a lot of plant but not much underground, even with trimming back and all. I had started the plants indoors in February, if I remember correctly. Unless you have a spectacular microclimate where you are, I don't know that you will get much more than green leaves and vines out of your sprouts. They are pretty nevertheless. I think that it is the leaves of the sweet potato that some asian groups cook up. They are not supposed to be poisonous...it is a different plant family all together from the yam and the regular potatoes. I am too chicken to try it out though, but it sounds intriguing.

Two more things...the sweet potato is VERY frost sensitive. I also want to add that they make a lovely indoor plant.

I have been busy trying to find some Light Brahma eggs and perhaps some good Black and Blue Copper Marans eggs for our broody hen. Our lovely Blue Coppers have some strange blood in them...I suspect silkie and/or americana (and I certainly don't want the Americana). I determined this because of the looks of their offspring last year, none of which lived for whatever reason. It seems like a near impossible task to find anything in our area. Either we need to get them shipped to us or go for a VERY long drive.  Sad  Either way it adds such a cost that it makes it too much for us. I suppose that there is always next year.
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Whisperer on May 20th 2014, 2:19 pm

I just setup another paddock for my  dry sows and have also been busy with the usual spring cleaning. I've also been quite busy finishing up renos on the house so I can get my place on the market in June.

Next on the list is creating paddocks for the lactating sows and slaughtering 2 young boars.

A couple pics of the litter I had a while back. I've already sold the whole litter and I didn't advertise at all. I've actually had a lot of random calls for pigs this spring, seems they're tricky to find this year.
Pig Whisperer
Established
Established

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog on May 20th 2014, 6:41 pm

Still loving the piglets ! and yes , piglets are hard to come by these days . Around my area they are as good as non existent .which is to bad ..............love a nice fat pig ! especially in fall .....LOL....
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum