Birdfeeders

Go down

Birdfeeders

Post by Fowler on May 12th 2014, 8:24 am

To please Prairie Dog, I will relate my past weekend. Still too March-like to do much around here. The frost isn't all out of the ground and the rivers are still high. Crocuses are up and daffodils are blooming in the warmer spots. Saw the very first blossom on the magnolia so spring isn't far off.

Anyhoo, not being about to do anything else I built a couple of platform bird feeders this weekend. My old one had been knocked together with plywood scraps and was falling apart. I went all woodworky and found cedar scraps from a wood mill for next to nothing (they come very dear at the building centers). My old feeder had a plywood floor that would fill with water when it rained so this time I bought a piece of decorative aluminum that is full of tiny holes. Probably made to fit into a screen door or something. $28 but I can easily get 6 feeders out of it so I didn't think it was too bad. Used some brackets for supports and predrilled the holes and everything. This thing is STRONG! I think I could stand on it if I had to.

The best part was watching the animals react to the new feeder. Didn't quite trust it at first. Blue jay would swoop in and the hover around it (and they don't hover very well). Almost like a kid pretending the thing was made of lava. Likewise, a grey squirrel would climb the post and then go back down and climb and go back down, don't know how many times he did it and then he'd climb and just touch the new feeder, and go back down. By the end of the day, they seemed to accept it.

I do notice one bird pooped on my brand new feeder... not cool.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Birdfeeders

Post by Fowler on May 12th 2014, 8:25 am

Also, saw a White Crowned Sparrow this morning. I know they pass through on migration but I never saw one before (or just never noticed).

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on May 12th 2014, 1:03 pm

Still using the plywood scrap platform feeder here.

Bought a few diff styles of commercial feeders and fill them w/various seeds but #1 all time everybody loves and uses 99% of the time is the scrappy plwood one hung w/binder twine and filled w/black sunflower seeds.

Now have purple and golden finches, hairy and downy woodpeckers, juncos, white something sparrows, nuthatch, chickadee and a pine grosbeak visiting. Although can geese have been here for a month and a half, the snow geese and ross geese are just flying thru.
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum