Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snake food

4 posters

Go down

Snake food Empty Snake food

Post by Davinci March 16th 2014, 9:55 pm

Daughter bought herself a pet corn snake. About 4.5 feet long. A very creepy pet, if you ask me, but she didn't so there you have it.

She has been feeding it live mice. Recently though I had a failed hatch and three eggs that were due to hatch, didn't. I put the failed chicks in the freezer for her to feed to her snake.

I know Mr. Sweetened is a reptile guy. Does he know of any reason why feeding a thawed chick is bad for a snake?

Almost gave Hub heart failure when he was groping around for his Turtles ice cream and came out with dead chicks. He was not a happy camper!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Snake food Empty Re: Snake food

Post by Ryan March 16th 2014, 11:31 pm

Thawed chicks are perfectly fine for cornsnakes. I would caution her to re-think feeding it live mice as they have been known to do major damage to the snake, as in eating the snake alive. Ironic I know.

But back to your original question, absolutely might as well put the chicks to some use.
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 17th 2014, 1:02 pm

Turtles...chicks...nope, not the same...  Shocked  You sure would have some strange ice cream.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 25th 2014, 1:29 am

Another question for the snake guru.

Daughter just bought two adult Hog Island Boas, a male and female in the same cage. She feels due to the stinky, poopy nature of their cage, their level of care wasn't the greatest.

She had another snake person come over to see her new snakes and he was a little worried about them. He said, while the male snake seems very strong and forward, the female is noticeably weaker, her body feels softer, not hard and muscular. She is noticeably slower and less reactive to her environment. She has scars on her body.

He felt the female might not be doing so well. He wonders if they were fed together in the same enclosure, that maybe the male got most of the food.

Daughter was told they were due for their feeding, and that they eat rats. She bought two live rats, put each snake, alone, in a separate container and gave it a rat. Neither snake made any move towards the rats, the rats climbed on the snakes and stepped on them and after a while she took the rats out.

Now she has rats she never planned on having and snakes that won't eat.

Does Ryan have any views to offer, please? And, can snakes eat eggs? I wonder if the female is hungry, if maybe a nutrient rich duck egg might not jump start her body?

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 25th 2014, 11:23 am

Buddy of mine had 2 boas, big ones. He used to grab the rats by the tail and whack them on the head to stun them and fed them out of the cage on the living room floor.

Could be they haven't been fed live food.

I'd think eggs would be great for them

He also used to throw them over his shoulder and take them for a swim in their pool.

He didn't feed them very often. Not till well after the 'lump' disappeared
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan March 25th 2014, 10:23 pm

First things first is to make sure that the enclosure they are in and the temperature, humidity is perfect.  Environment plays a huge factor in snakes health and if the temp especially isn't right they will not eat.  The scars tell me she may very well have been a victim of a live rat in the past and some snakes are just very private and shy eaters.

If they can be separated, at least temporarily while eating they should be.  Put a dead rat in with the female and leave her alone in a dark place for as long as it takes....trust me she will smell it and know what to do.  Patience is key though, snakes can go for over a year without food so no need to panic if she won't eat right away but keep her hydrated.

Keep me updated, might be a few more tricks I can think of.
Ryan
Ryan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 26th 2014, 1:06 am

Thanks Ryan.

Daughter did buy two large containers that she puts the snakes in, one at a time, to feed them. She does not feed them in their enclosure. I will pass along this info.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down