Legalizing marijuana?

Go down

Legalizing marijuana?

Post by Davinci on March 19th 2014, 12:18 pm

Posted this. Deleted this. Caused some people some heartburn, including myself.

So I forge ahead! Bravely. Re-posting. Not that I can remember what I said first time around but will try and get the general gist of it.

Listening to the radio yesterday about the changes to BC's pot growing laws. For a time there were approved smaller scale grow ops and some people were allowed to grow their own for medical purposes. This all seems to be over now and the govt is grabbing more control of the pot growing business. Where there's money to be made, you will find the govt. What a shock. People who invested heavily in equipment are now left holding the bag for this investment because the govt did a 180 and changed their minds.

It is my opinion that marijuana should be legal. That it should fall under the same laws as alcohol consumption. If you get stoned, get in a car and harm someone, you should be subject to the same penalties as for drinking and driving. It can be called drugging and driving. I think our police force has better things to do with their time that harass the local stoners hanging around the chips and cheezies at the local 7-11.

My mother is of the generation that was convinced pot smoking was the work of the devil, made you evil and even now she calls it a gateway drug. No, it is not. Her knowledge of the drug world is based on old, old ideas and NOT in step with reality at all. I guess I'm going to have to set her down with a bunch of Cheech and Chong movies and introduce her to the world of ridiculous stupidity that often accompanies too much pot smoking. But violence and rage and criminal activity? This is NOT the modus operandi of your average pot smoker. In fact, there are few people less motivated to break into your car for spare change than pot smokers, they are often a lethargic, hungry, unmotivated crowd, who like to sit around and laugh at nothing in particular. Violent offenders? Not.

It is the height or arrogant, ignorant hypocrisy to walk into a liquor store and buy your mind altering substance of choice, while saying that no one else should be allowed their mind altering substance of choice. The ONLY people against pot who would gain any of my respect are the those who publicly picket for the govt to shut down all liquor stores. If you're going to be against intoxication, then be against ALL intoxication. I can at least respect that. But as some uninformed lout with a rye and coke in his hand lectures me about how pot should be illegal, well, he's a moronic fool who is a greedy ass. As long as HE gets what HE wants in the way of recreational mind abuse, then the world is good. But god forbid that anyone else should have that same privilege.

- note. There are studies that show the ingrained and repulsive hatred that humans seem to always display, in that once we have something for ourselves, we do not want anyone else to have the equivalent. That we only feel that we have arrived in life when we have more than the next guy. ANd having the right to buy beer while denying someone else the right to buy pot, makes us feel like we are in the position of having more. And we like that. SO we might not even disagree with pot in principle, but oppose it to be guarding our own imagined entitlement to a bigger slice of the pie. People will oppress each other quite happily and do so everyday in the name of having MORE than the next guy. We do not actually want an equal society...some of us want more money, more power, more jobs, more schooling, more alcohol, while they are happy to see that most of the rest of us have less. IT's about greed. Period. -

I have had no luck explaining to my mother that pot is no more likely to turn the average person into a criminal than her bottle of wine is going to turn her into a homeless bag lady. There is reasonable use and then there is UNreasonable use. And for statistics on the effects of Unreasonable use, look at the studies on alcohol. In my opinion alcohol is WAY more of a problem than pot will ever be! We know, with hard data, the cost and trouble caused by alcohol abuse. And yet it continues in this country and the govt grows fat off the taxes. And they have the balls to act as if pot will be a societal problem?

I have not been able to impress upon my mother the difference between heroin/crack/meth and pot. These drugs are not even in the same league. And no, pot is not a gateway drug. There are those people who try pot, find it too boring, and very quickly escalate to harder drugs and yes those people DO commit crimes to fund their habits. But the problem is NOT the drugs. The problem lies within these people and their deficits in character and personal responsibility. The heinous acts of humanity cannot be blamed on drugs, but boy isn't it a handy excuse for never having to point a finger at someone and say, this person is a waste of air and an affront to nature.

My mom seems to think that once pot is legal, every school kid will be stoned senseless. Well, lots of school kids are stoned senseless now, Ritalin being the drug of choice in most school yards. Why is it we can drug kids into compliance when it works for authorities, but we cannot drug ourselves for fun, when we are consenting adults? HYPOCRISY AND STUPIDITY IS ALIVE AND WELL IN THE TRUE NORHT STRONG AND FREE. FREE? Really?

We do not actually know very much at all about how anti-depressants work on the human brain. THey have massive mind altering powers, they make your brain as different as pot does, and yet they are legal and allowed. So if you swallow your brain haze with water, it's fine. If you smoke your brain haze from a baggy, it should be against the law? This is so stinking stupid!

Anyhow, I am on the record for saying that no one in this country should be jailed or fined for carrying or growing a reasonable amount of pot. If you want to get rid of pot crime, MAKE IT LEGAL! Talk about destroying the market, let everyone grow a few plants in their garden. I think we should also hold all drinkers and druggers to a very high degree of personal conduct and make sure they know that their use of these intoxicants MUST happen where they pose no risk to anyone. Not behind the wheel of a vehicle, not while operating dangerous machinery, etc. The law should crush wreckless disregard for others. Be drunk, be stoned, STAY HOME.

News shows Justin Trudeau being in favour of legalizing pot. I would vote for him for that alone. And I think there is a growing number of people who grow quietly tired of the hysterical doomsday predictions of the nay-sayers. People like my mom, entitled to and enjoying her wine, need to get over their old, stupid ideas, get past their greed, and say yes, I get to enjoy my wine, and if Elmer over there wants to toke a joint, why the hell shouldn't he be allowed?

I wish I can recall who was quoted as saying "no one gets stoned and then goes home to beat their wife." It is not, nor will it ever be marijuana that causes ills in this society. We already have those ills. And they usually come in a bottle.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing marijuana?

Post by Fowler on March 19th 2014, 12:33 pm

I wish I can recall who was quoted as saying "no one gets stoned and then goes home to beat their wife."

I've said it but I probably wasn't the original. If you weigh it solely on problems caused in society, alcohol should be illegal moreso than pot. I've never even tried it although I think I would like to before I die.

Odd how different cultures will have drugs that are acceptable and drugs that are not. Lot of muslim countries have no problem with pot, but alcohol is a no-no. I remember a couple of exchange students from Iran (I think) in university. We came in to the dorm one day and they were smoking up right in the lounge. Had to explain to them that they had to keep that stuff in their room.

In short, yeah, legalize it. Oh what a wonderous time it would be to own a pizza franchise.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on March 19th 2014, 4:11 pm

FOwler, that quote has been kicked around a lot and it makes great sense. Seems alcohol has a way larger chance of bringing forth the violent tendencies in a person. Have you ever heard of pot smokers having a brawl in the pizza joint? No.

I think you could even have a frozen pizza joint, I've seen them eat it frozen.

And it should be pointed out that just because pot is legal does not mean that people who are not interested are suddenly going to become dope fiends (that's my mom's fave expression, heavy on the FIEND part).  Legal pot is not obligatory pot. Take it or leave it. Kind of how I feel about tofu and sushi. It's there. It's legal. No thanks.

If you ever want to dip your toe, Fowler, come visit. The kid will plop you on a horse and in 7 minutes ride you into the middle of one big ass grow op! We regularly have overhead helicopters swooping the neighbour's place. In colder months you can hear the endless drone of his diesel generators running things, since Hydro nabbed him for stealing power. He's been jailed, he's done time and he just keeps on growing. The only thing that would put this guy out of business is if we all get to grow it! Legally! Then he can quit running those damn generators and quit driving around in his quad with a shotgun across his lap. (he is not what you'd call friendly)

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog on March 19th 2014, 11:12 pm

I will say that the whole problem with legalizing it will only prompt the dealers to come up with more lethal drugs , the dealers will never be stopped by legalizing it !. Secondly , I have had close friends die from starting with pot and as is almost always the case ( not every case , but most ) they experimented with harder drugs and got hooked and unfortunately they died far to young . Pot is a small portion of the issue , it's a starter drug for most and once it no longer suffices then the door is open for the harder drugs ..........which would be the next one for legalizing ? Everyone cries that the government gets involved yet when a crisis happens everyone wants the government to step in and help because someone made a bad call ?? I don't understand that in any way ! voting for Justin ?? well he is his mothers son now isn't he ? defiantly not his fathers genes there ..........my two cents
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on March 20th 2014, 12:42 am

Prairie Dog, I hate to disagree with you, but I'm going to.

Pot is illegal and you have friends who escalated and died anyway. IT was not the legality nor the illegality that would have changed this outcome. It was whatever was going on with that person.

My experience is different than yours. I know people who started smoking pot in high school, never grew out of it, and they are true poster boys for the effects of obliterated brain cells. But again, is POT the problem? No! People are the problem! Those same potheads probably started with...say it with me now...BEER! Beer is the gateway drug!

Anyone who is of that mindset can abuse ANYTHING. Some of abuse the speed limit by driving too fast, some of us abuse our credit by spending money we don't have. Some of us abuse the system by cheating on our taxes, some of us abuse the public by wearing shirts that are too tight. The problem isn't cars or taxes or shirts (okay, taxes are a problem...) The problem is people who have never learned to get a grip on their excessive behaviour. PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM my good man, not pot!

You bring up a valid point that we all go crying to god govt wah, wah, wah, when the world dumps on us, or when, more likely, we dump on ourselves. But that is not the issue at hand.

When I was a kid growing up is rural BC, we had never heard of crack or meth of bath salts. A few kids had some weed and the very super advanced kids who left town sometimes found some acid. Oooh, wow, acid. And now...all this new stuff is out there that will KILL you. Back in the day pot would make you stink at least and get paranoid at worst. Half the time we paid for a bag of tea cut with oregano. We had no clue. The point is that pot has NEVER been legal and the dope designers have gone ahead and designed newer and more vicious drugs anyway! So to say legalizing pot will lead to even WORSE drugs, just does not pan out. The worse drugs are here...because that's how people are.

I know children who are profoundly and forever damaged because mom used alcohol while pregnant. I have not seen any studies showing what pot use does to an in utero baby, might Google that and see. But we do know, with utter certainty, that alcohol is POISON to the human system and POISON to a fetus and women can still drink and still do. So. We have pot to be alarmed about? No we do not.

For the people who start with pot and escalate, the fault lies in their personal choices, not in an inert substance. No one is forced to go from pot to acid to cocaine to heroine. We are all absolutely free to say no. These kinds of people are just as free to make bad choices with alcohol and many of them do, and it's all legal.

PS. It would be hard not to vote for Justin Trudeau, he's just so darn cute. We'd have the best looking Prime Minister ever!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog on March 20th 2014, 8:49 am

PS. It would be hard not to vote for Justin Trudeau, he's just so darn cute. We'd have the best looking Prime Minister ever!.............................All the more reason to vote for him I guess ? But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all look at things differently ....LOL....
It's always about choices, beer , alcohol , pot , hard drugs ? regardless of what starts it , I to have friends who used pot as youths who survived the years and now are for lack of a better word .....wasted ! You can see the abuse has taken it's part and they are now mostly living in there own little world .......might be a nice world in there eyes , but still very noticeable . But regardless , it's ever persons choice .....again ......as to where they want this to go , . Maybe the government ( again ?? ) should look at both sides of the coin and also have a look at the alcohol issues along with the pot issues ...........kill two birds with one stone as it were ...................
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler on March 20th 2014, 9:07 am

I know of people who have committed suicide over gambling addictions. Yet the government is still happy to promote it. I know people who have survived alcohol yet it has still wasted their lives. Many people get addicted to pharmaceuticals yet they are still prescribed.

I wonder if it would be a gateway drug if it was legal. Let's see, I can legally smoke pot or I can buy cocaine and risk arrest.

Discussing this with my parents, I was stunned that they were actually in favour of legalization. You never would have heard them say that 20 years ago.

Justin is a moot point since McKay is also talking decriminalization. It's the way the wind is blowing.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on March 20th 2014, 10:29 am

I watched something where a supposed marijuana dealer (of course, he was just a silhouette and had his voice changed) said that legalizing it would be good for his business. Legalizing would mean that the drug companies would charge higher prices on a climbing scale just like other drugs they sell and his business would thrive because he could sell it for a bit less on the black market and get all kinds of new customers. He was all for legalization. I thought that was interesting.
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on March 20th 2014, 3:48 pm

prairie dog wrote:I will say that the whole problem with legalizing it will only prompt the dealers to come up with more lethal drugs , the dealers will never be stopped by legalizing it !. Secondly , I have had close friends die from starting with pot and as is almost always the case ( not every case , but most ) they experimented with harder drugs and got hooked and unfortunately they died far to young . Pot is a small portion of the issue , it's a starter drug for most and once it no longer suffices then the door is open for the harder drugs ..........which would be the next one for legalizing ? Everyone cries that the government gets involved yet when a crisis happens everyone wants the government to step in and help because someone made a bad call  ?? I don't understand that in any way ! voting for Justin ?? well he is his mothers son now isn't he ? defiantly not his fathers genes there ..........my two cents  

Actually peer reviewed scientific literature says it is not addictive and not a a gateway drug

What is a gateway is that's it's illegal so you get it from someone who doesn't care what your age is and ........ is selling other stuff and encourages you to try.

Legalizing will make it like booze or ciggies, kids are carded as the fine is way too big to bother selling to minors

most people I know that use/have used had absolutely no desire to do anything but pot.

Also see: Grow your own in the back yard and deal w/no one.
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on March 20th 2014, 4:01 pm

I know a lot of people that have used it, like social drinkers, their whole lives and own business's, are doctors, lawyers, scientists, teachers, skilled tradespeople.

Cause is not effect. Just because someone is a layabout or not terribly bright, they are what they are, pot didn't cause it, they just happen to do pot, and prob alc too.

Know also tons of alcohol only losers and idiots, diff. being they get violent a lot when drunk. Not so much w/pot.

Stevie changed the rules on medical pot to set up I think 7 of his buddies (maybe paymasters) in anticipation of legalizing in the future when is inevitable.

That way is a pay day for these corporate assholes the conservs love. When legalized then can only buy legal weed from these suppliers cutting out any small businesspeople and interested farmers. Collect backhand later

Supreme court forced medical pot on gov. The gov kicked and screamed all the way. Hopefully these new rules will also be turfed by the supreme's in court cases now started
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on March 20th 2014, 4:20 pm

Davinci wrote: The point is that pot has NEVER been legal and the dope designers have gone ahead and designed newer and more vicious drugs anyway! So to say legalizing pot will lead to even WORSE drugs, just does not pan out. The worse drugs are here...because that's how people are.

PS. It would be hard not to vote for Justin Trudeau, he's just so darn cute. We'd have the best looking Prime Minister ever!

Actually pot was legal till synthetic rope came out after WWII. Also tree pulp paper barons, and big pharma also had a big interest in getting rid of.

So these industries knew the psychotic yankees didn't like jazz, or people of color, so started on the blacks will rape the white women stoned on marijuanha going (movie: reefer madness, circa 1950's) and banned hemp piggyback.

Since when has any gov ever done anything to protect the little people ever? (really)

Back in my (misspent to some) youth, all what you call evil rec drugs were around, but there were safer/less harmful ones that were poplular instead. But the WAR ON DRUGS stopped their production thru precursor chemical licensing and so people moved on to the next one even tho it was worse.

I'd like to vote for justin, I really liked his dad. Sure somethings he did didn't work out so well but he had idea's of his own, was not corporate controlled, and regularly told the yankees to sod off. Cretien was somewhat similar. I'd vote any party if I liked what they said/did. Or least had a stab at it. Listening to justin, he seems like a quieter corp shill so I'm going w/May. If for no other realistic effect than encouragement
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler on March 20th 2014, 8:18 pm

ooptec wrote:

What is a gateway is that's it's illegal so you get it from someone who doesn't care what your age is and ........  is selling other stuff and encourages you to try.

Legalizing will make it like booze or ciggies, kids are carded as the fine is way too big to bother selling to minors

I was thinking along the same lines. Despite being legal, there is illegal cigarettes and alcohol around. You can get liquor at 4:00 AM if you know where to go and are willing to pay. Smuggled cigs are constantly in the news. Despite this, most people go for the legal sale.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on March 21st 2014, 12:41 am

I find it interesting that dope growers say legalization is good for their business. Here I have found it just the opposite. As more and more people were allowed to grow their own medical marijuana, the growers lost their market.

Now, if GOVERNMENT are the only ones allowed to grow dope, then dope growers will fight them for business. But this is about profit and the profit of undercutting prices is, well, settling for less than the going rate. Not the sweet profits that makes the risk worth it for local dope growers.

If the govt is smart ( I almost fell out of my chair there) they'll throw the doors open and tell everyone they can grow 10 plants in their home or yard. That will wipe out the dope trade. When anyone can do it, who needs to buy it from a big grow op?

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog on March 21st 2014, 9:09 am

I understood that everyone can legally grow a few ? not to sure on how many plants , but I thought it was five ?? maybe it's a Manitoba thing ? ..............but I could be wrong abut this as well ? Self use etc and all
prairie dog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on March 21st 2014, 10:20 am

You may be confusing it w/mandatory minimum sentences the conservs just introduced last year where over 6 plants get you jail time.

Even tho jouridictions in the psychotic states are dropping them like the bad idea they are.

W/the prices the gov sanctioned grows charge for shitty pot, growers have nothing to worry about.
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz on March 21st 2014, 12:46 pm

Davinci wrote:I find it interesting that dope growers say legalization is good for their business. Here I have found it just the opposite. As more and more people were allowed to grow their own medical marijuana, the growers lost their market.

Now, if GOVERNMENT are the only ones allowed to grow dope, then dope growers will fight them for business. But this is about profit and the profit of undercutting prices is, well, settling for less than the going rate. Not the sweet profits that makes the risk worth it for local dope growers.

If the govt is smart ( I almost fell out of my chair there) they'll throw the doors open and tell everyone they can grow 10 plants in their home or yard. That will wipe out the dope trade. When anyone can do it, who needs to buy it from a big grow op?

I think that part of the idea there was that if the government was going to legalize it, that they would want full control (not allowing it to be grown at home), just like prescription drugs, having their own growers and putting all sorts of regulations and taxes on it. They have done that in other areas. Look at the cigarette black market. It is thriving.

niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on March 21st 2014, 10:21 pm

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, here in BC you are NOT allowed to grow pot unless you have been given permission to for medical purposes.

Just tonight on the news there was some coverage concerning this. I think one level of the law attempted to make it illegal for people to grow their own pot. But a higher court overturned it. People who were legally growing their own would have become criminals overnight. Stupid! A higher court has said no, things may remain as they are. For now...

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on March 22nd 2014, 11:27 am

and also threw out harpies choice for supreme court as unconstitutional same as reversal on med mj

Was a bad day for them

good
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on March 22nd 2014, 11:55 am

"In this week's court hearing, a government lawyer said there is no constitutional right to cheap medicine...the government argued that allowing some patients to continue growing their own pot would prevent the fledgling medical marijuana industry from fully developing."

So the patients don't have a right to affordable medicine, but the Cons' buddies DO have a right to get rich off the patients' suffering? That pretty much sums up the Harper Government's way of thinking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/21/medical-marijuana-ruling-_n_5009921.html
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down