How did you start on your homesteading quest?

Go down

How did you start on your homesteading quest?

Post by niglefritz on March 20th 2014, 10:38 am

For us, it was a few health reasons and financial restrictions. Being curious about if I could do things the old way or make things for less or better than they are in the stores anyway didn't hurt. My quest will never end...

I also had a good example, and a lot of inspiration, from my grandparents who lived on very little. He built things that they couldn't afford and they did everything they could with their own hands. It has been said that they "were the last covered wagon settlers" in Manitoba, he cleared his land, built a log home and log barn, trapped, hunted, gathered, did maple syrup, broke his own horses, grew his own meat and had the best garden (veg & fruit) for miles around until shortly before he died at age 93. He was still chopping many cords of wood at 91. Not bad, I tell you!

I often wonder if I could have survived as a settler. I would like to think so, but who really knows? Then again, if they could do it, why can't I?
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you start on your homesteading quest?

Post by ooptec on March 20th 2014, 4:25 pm

When I was 10 and saw great uncle peter's place in 1965

Been a long road to here

And worth every step

I'm a son of a son of a pioneer and last member of the once agrarian family now anywhere near the country

Way better now and can actually enjoy rather than 'back in the day' when they worked themselves into a premature grave
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy on March 28th 2014, 11:30 pm

When we bought the 30 acres of bare land, there was nothing there. It was hay land, but not good quality. But great for a few ponies to graze, which was the most important thing for me. Also it was very affordable compared to other acreages. There is no water, no electricity, no gas, no telephone. But it is such a beautiful piece of land and so quiet and peaceful. When living on my acreage, I have to haul water, warm the cabin with wood, use propane for back up heat and cooking and heating water, use solar power and hopefully some wind power. So it started as a necessity. But now it's a dream to live simple again. With some luxury like internet and a daily warm shower. LOL
Sassy

View user profile http://www.lpinemeadow.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci on March 29th 2014, 11:18 pm

We are really not homesteaders. This bedrock, mountainside isn't good or anything other than rolling boulders down. But we did plop in a little hillside chicken pen (It looks terrible, nothing is level or plumb). It was important to me that my kid not grow up a food boob who didn't know that in order for her to eat meat, someone had to raise it and something had to die.

We made her feed that first batch of meat birds. We made her catch them and hand them to her father on slaughter day. We had been telling her this would happen and I think we're still paying for the therapy sessions. BUT.. between the meat birds and layers, chicks that hatched, chicks that died, horses we bought, horses we had to feed hay to 365 days a year, manure to be moved, horses that had to be put down..I think she learned. She got the idea of life and death, of work, of getting blood on your hands to put meat in the freezer. IT's not free, it doesn't appear by magic in the store or on the plate, it's not anonymous. Living, farming, feeding, caring, butchering, eating... it's all REAL and for her to EAT, there is work and there is death. That was our goal and I think we accomplished it. She is not a food boob. She's just your regular, annoying young person.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec on March 30th 2014, 3:04 pm

amen .......

I always wanted a t-shirt that said

"When I eat
Something dies"
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down