Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need to brag

4 posters

Go down

I need to brag Empty I need to brag

Post by niglefritz March 20th 2014, 10:43 pm

We got a nice antique 1936 Singer today.  Very Happy  I have always wanted one ever since I played with my grandma's so many years ago. It was a fantastic price, and in perfect working condition with all sorts of attachments and tools...and two manuals. The lady even showed me how everything worked and came together.

Funny thing is that I am not a seamstress. At least my kids can sew and enjoy it. lol I will watch them learn how to work it and maybe try my hand out a bit on it too. It is so pretty...ahem, sorry.  Embarassed 
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

I need to brag Empty Re: I need to brag

Post by blackdove March 20th 2014, 10:50 pm

That is so cool! My Gramma had one too, I would love to start a collection of sewing machines.

Now we need pics, niglefritz!  Smile 
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 21st 2014, 12:29 am

Niglefritz, you should try some quilt making. No seamstress skills required! It is very rewarding and you can use cast of work shirts from the thrift store. Hang on to that prize, those old machines are real workhorses!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 21st 2014, 10:39 am

blackdove wrote:That is so cool!  My Gramma had one too, I would love to start a collection of sewing machines.  

Now we need pics, niglefritz!   Smile 

Funny you mention that. Embarassed Actually, we do have one. Not on purpose, mind you. We have one machine that doesn't work, another that our daughter bought, and now 3 singers of different generations. We have 2 with cabinets...the new one with a treadle, the vintage one with a cord, and a portable one from years gone by...these all work well. We got most of them (except the one that doesn't work at the moment  Rolling Eyes  ) for very little...and that is how we collect things. I want to get rid of the one that doesn't work, of course. It is a minor issue that someone can most likely get fixed somewhere. One of our girls already asked for the treadle machine. I said NO WAY. It is MINE. lol It will never leave our possession and I hope that it will stay in the family. She might just get it one day...whoever sews the most and loves sewing will get it.

Pictures...I will get on that as soon as we take it out of the vehicle. It is a matter of figuring out what goes out into storage to let us have this one inside.  confused Tiny houses are so frustrating sometimes.

I like the thought of quilt making. The couple who sold it to us said that the machine could handle pretty much anything...and denim wasn't any problem. I just have issues with cutting straight lines in cloth...I will not show you the first denim blanket that I tried. I never finished it...oh it looked awful.  Shocked  Maybe it is time to try again?  Idea  Maybe the older kids will do a better job of cutting cloth for me. So far, it looks like the oldest can do a good job of that.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by blackdove March 21st 2014, 10:49 am

Davinci wrote:Niglefritz, you should try some quilt making. No seamstress skills required! It is very rewarding and you can use cast of work shirts from the thrift store. Hang on to that prize, those old machines are real workhorses!

Let's lure in another one to the quilting obsession, Davinci.   *insert scheming fingers here*  Muahahaa  

niglefritz, all you need is a few good suppies and you are set.  I hate the cutting, but with a mat and rotary cutter, you can have precise cuts without any trouble at all!  Stick with us, we will have you quilting in no time.   Cool

I would love to see your collection of machines!!  cheers 
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 21st 2014, 12:17 pm

My daughter now has a small mat, and I think that I have a rotary cutter stashed way back in a room that I am afraid to enter.

Oh boy...I have some picture taking to do, I think... lol
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 21st 2014, 10:23 pm

Yes, quilting. Come to the dark side...

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer