Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Get to meet Blackdove!

+2
blackdove
Davinci
6 posters

Go down

I Get to meet Blackdove! Empty I Get to meet Blackdove!

Post by Davinci March 23rd 2014, 1:04 pm

Blackdove and I have been faithful net-friends for years, but we have never met. It seems, in print, that we almost live identical lives. And now she is coming to town! I am so nervous! But I am also very excited! In the words of another dear friend, SQUEEEEEEE!

As I get older, I think my bucket list might be changing. Instead of lofty and far reaching goals, which I am not likely to achieve at my advanced age, I think I would like to meet people for whom I have developed fond feelings. Friends matter.

I must now dust, vacuum and bake. Oh the tension!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

I Get to meet Blackdove! Empty Re: I Get to meet Blackdove!

Post by blackdove March 23rd 2014, 2:23 pm

It's gonna be awesome!!  Very Happy 

And stop cleaning right now! lol
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog March 23rd 2014, 10:46 pm

Awe......................enjoy the intro and friendship ,
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 24th 2014, 3:34 am

I'm going to take her to quilt shops, drive her around country roads, make her a meal, drink lots of coffee and talk and marvel that we are actually, really meeting. I am stoked!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened March 24th 2014, 2:04 pm

Am jealous!
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 24th 2014, 11:32 pm

You never know Sweetened, on our next get together, you may just have to leave Mr. Moose at the helm and bring yourself along! That is unless Blackdove posts that I turned out to be a real dud. Hope not!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy March 26th 2014, 10:23 am

That sounds like lots of fun! I'm a member of a forum for Dutch women living in Canada. (I'm Dutch, living in Canada since 2002) After a few years on the forum, we all met at one of the ladies farm in Wakaw. We had a wonderful time, and so much fun, even though no one knew each other in person, only from the forum.
I'm still on that forum. I think it's like 8 years now. Those ladies all became good friends.
Enjoy!
Sassy
Sassy

http://www.lpinemeadow.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 26th 2014, 3:22 pm

Sassy, that is a wonderful story! I wish the world could meet and get along. I wish we could all focus on what we have in common that binds us and makes us a group, instead of where we differ.

My mom was only 50 years old when my dad died, leaving her a widow. I am now 50. I remember thinking that my mother was old and should be able to handle this sort of thing at her advanced age. What a fool I was! I find the thought of losing my partner at this age inconceivable!

What pulled my mother through was a tight group of friends who had always been there, but at that stage of all their lives, were even more able to be there. That was 24 years ago my dad died, and my mom is still in contact with these friends, they do things together, get together for shared meals and attend Elvis impersonator concerts and the like. These women sustained my mom, and now as the year have passed and some of them have lost partners, she returns that favour.

Men can be friends too, but it's different with women I find. I hope you and these ladies meet again. Have you met again since that one time?

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy March 26th 2014, 6:25 pm

No we didn't meet again, but still talk on the forum together. Soon I will see the lady in Wakaw again though. They had a woodstove for sale and I bought it, so have to pick it up. Great visit opportunity!

When we are young, we think 50 is old and with long life experience able to handle anything. Maybe it is because our parents were always the ones to turn to when we needed them. Like they can solve and handle anything. Until we getting to that age huh? Little different and an eye opener. :-) I don't think any age is the right age to loose your soul mate. Getting older we keep maturing I suppose, and will understand our parents more and more. (even though I thought I knew it all when I was 26. LOL Duh!)

Yes ,men can be very good friends too. But because of being more emotional, motherhood, having periods, menopause and all those female things.....I think women just got that little more for understanding to be of better support in certain ways.
But I also think it all depends on how men are raised. By example, my lovely 18 year old son is my best support since my hubby passed away last October. He's a very warm and caring personality. Not macho or so. Very mature for his age too.
Very proud of him. :-)
Sassy
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 26th 2014, 8:48 pm

I am sorry to hear of your loss, Sassy. I am happy that you have good family near you for support.

You seem like a woman with an interesting story to share and I hope you will share it when you are ready. I am always interested to hear why people decide to do what they do (build a cabin and live off the grid) the steps they took to get there, how they hope to achieve their goals. Several of us here would love to build a little cabin and live a simple life, although a lot of it is not so simple and lots of hard work that has to be done. But simple as in clean and meaningful.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy March 26th 2014, 9:41 pm

Thanks Davinci. :-)
Once I can put in a link here, I can share my blog with everyone here. I tried but the forum didn't let me yet.
Sassy
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 27th 2014, 10:40 am

Yay! I am so glad that you are going to get to meet her. How exciting. I would just caution you not to feed her old Cheese Whiz and canned sardines. Bring out the good stuff.  Laughing 
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 28th 2014, 1:45 am

Ha, ha Niglefritz, don't worry, no crusty Cheeze Whiz or petrified sardines. We have an AWESOME day today. Talked like we have known each other forever. Have another great day planned tomorrow, we're going to meet up with another chicken site friend, CynthiaM.

TO bed for me, another day tomorrow, a good time was had by all!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog March 28th 2014, 8:44 am

Good for you , and another meeting with another friend ........well it doesn't get much better then that
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 28th 2014, 10:38 am

You're right, Prairie Dog, it doesn't get much better. I was just saying to Hub this morning that I cannot remember the last time that a whole two days were just given over to me and a buddy booting around, doing stuff and seeing things. This never happens! I don't want her to go home!

NOTE:

While we were out and about yesterday, someone broke into my home. I knew someone had been here, I could see tire tracks and I think a mysterious footprint on the porch mat. Whoever it was let themselves in through the unlocked door and left muffins and cheese biscuits. I HATE it when people break in and leave food! Blackdove felt that she would be happy to have such vandals visit her house now and then, the Goodie Bringing Vandals. I have great neighbours!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 29th 2014, 11:00 am

Crying or Very sad I need those types of neighbors too. So wonderful for you!

p.s... I think that maybe they heard about your pantry... Laughing Ah, I should leave that alone already, but I enjoy it so much. It just fits anywhere.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 29th 2014, 11:09 pm

A good pantry joke is hard to pass up. I understand.

Neighbours who Bake and Enter, the BEST neighbours!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by blackdove April 1st 2014, 3:35 pm

I had an awesome time!!  This was so much fun.  The cheese whiz and sardines were the best, niglefritz!  lol  

Davinci is a good cook, don't let her fool you!!  

It was so nice to just kick back and let someone else tour me around.  Smile  It felt like we had known each other forever.  I picked up some beautiful quilt blocks from Devinci's mom - she does the most amazing work.  I will have to post pictures once I figure out how.  

It was cool to meet CynthiaM too.  It is always nice to put a face to the name of people you know in cyber land.  

I can't wait for our next visit.   Exclamation
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy April 1st 2014, 4:11 pm

Awesome! I'm very happy for you the visit was so much fun.
 Very Happy 
I do believe it's possible to find beautiful friendships through forums/facebook and other online programs. I made lots of good friends that way. I even found my late husband through ICQ, when that was still popular. We were together for almost 13 years.
And I agree blackdove, that it is really nice to put a face to the name of people you know in cyber land.
Sassy
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by blackdove April 6th 2014, 8:10 pm

I am already planning my next trip.  The Okanagan spring wine festival is May 1st -11th.... hmmmm I think that would work.  Are you up for it Davinci?   drunk
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci April 7th 2014, 2:01 am

BRING IT!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum