Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Health Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be Real

4 posters

Go down

10 Health Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be Real Empty Re: 10 Health Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be Real

Post by Davinci March 24th 2014, 11:55 pm

In this vein was one of my most horrible motherhood moments, I remember it with a horrid shiver.

When our baby was very small she did some odd things. The doctor had her tested for seizures, but the tests were inconclusive. They couldn't say she'd had seizures, they couldn't say she hadn't.

Fast forward to immunization day. The local health nurse is chitchatting with me as she weighs and measures fat baby, she gets her hypodermic needles out and lays them on the counter. As she rubs alcohol on a fat thigh she is asking me general questions.
" Does the baby sleep through the night?" she says as the needle arcs towards that soft, plump thigh.
"Yes, she's a good sleeper, even sleeps through her seizures."

EEERRCCCHCHCH! That needle hit the brakes and made a swift landing back on the counter. I thought I had said something wrong!

"Does this baby have seizures?" the health nurse pretty much shrieked at me. Scared me to death. I explained that it looked to me like she did, the docs checked her out but it was inconclusive although she seems over it mostly now.

The nurse gets up and closes her office door. She gives me the following lecture which I remember because my heart stopped beating.

" Whooping cough, which we are supposed to vaccinate for today, is usually fatal in children under the age of one year. If your baby catches whooping cough she will likely die. RIght here in town there are several confirmed cases of whooping cough and it is occurring in children who have been vaccinated against it and got it anyway. If you are out and about in this town and your baby comes in contact with a sick child, she very well may die of it.

HOWEVER...one in 650,000 (this is a made up number but it was some such vast statistic)children will have a reaction to the whooping cough shot. It swells the brain and leaves them profoundly mentally and physically handicapped for the rest of their lives. THe chances of this happening are practically nli and yet right here in our tiny town there are 3 children who will never walk or speak or get out of a wheelchair because of their whooping cough shot. All of them had suspected seizure disorder. If you suspect your child of having seizures and vaccinate her, you may kill her or permanently put her in a wheel chair, profoundly handicapped. If she gets whooping cough, which is here in town, she will likely die. What would you like to do?"

It was more than I could take in. All I grasped was being asked, how would you like to harm your baby today? Disease or disability? While I know that good moms vaccinate, I had seen the handicapped kids around town, kids who used to be whole and healthy until the tragic outcome of a vaccination. I quickly decided that if I had to keep the kid in a sealed terrarium until she was old enough to withstand whooping cough, if I spent a year acting like a whacky germ-o-phobe, I could live with that. More than I could live with a potential life of knowing I made a bad choice and crippled her by my decision.

After the age of one year, whooping cough becomes much less of a life threat. So there would come a day when she would survive it. And when she was 8 she did indeed get it and was sick, but recovered. But there is no recovery from an adverse whooping cough vaccine reaction. But to be faced with this decision I was NOT prepared for. I didn't even have HUb along to help with this burden and responsibility. It was like being punched in the gut.

For having such a low incidence of bad reactions, for all that they say it's safe, that three of our own citizens have been affected in this small population, is a staggering number.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

10 Health Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be Real Empty Re: 10 Health Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be Real

Post by Fowler March 25th 2014, 8:40 am

I agree with some. Some I don't.

Two that jumped out at me;
For example, a study that was conducted in New Zealand discovered that unvaccinated children are generally much healthier than vaccinated children…

That study only had about 500 kids. Ridiculously small sample size for a study of this sort. While I agree that vaccines for mild diseases like chicken pox are most likely a cash grab since they are unnecessary, I think it is a dangerous trend to avoid the more serious ones.

The Use Of Antidepressants By Mothers Has Been Scientifically Linked To Autism In Their Babies

Maybe true, I don't agree with all the medicating that they used to do. However, they have identified genetic links to autism. Also, if I hear one more person relate autism to vaccines because of that completely discredited study, I'm going to scream.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 25th 2014, 10:59 am

she gets her hypodermic needles out and lays them on the counter.

That is what some circles in med community are looking at. Not that 'A' vaccination gives adverse reactions incl autism but they give a whack of them at once and the overload from sheer numbers at the same time cause some adverse reactions
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 25th 2014, 1:29 pm

I should point out, to be clear, that the three affected children here all showed evidence of seizures. It is a well known fact that whooping cough should not be given to children who show any sort of brain troubles, which seizures are. These kids, horribly, slipped through the cracks.

Fowler, I have done some reading on anti depressants, and it's pretty scary, especially their effect on the adolescent brain. The truth is we don't know any more about how an anti-depressant works on a brain than we do how marijuana works on the brain. Knowing that it is and Seratonin reuptake inhibitor still does not tell us exactly what it does! But I don't think they cause autism in developing babies...although, who knows?

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 25th 2014, 1:35 pm

I read an article that even in the psychotic states of america they are doing a trial study treating veterans w/depression related to ptsd w/pot as no side effects and wonderful results
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler March 25th 2014, 2:13 pm

In recent years, I've started twitching in my sleep. I might be fine for a few months and then have a couple of bad weeks. Makes it hard for wifey and of course it breaks up my sleep too because she has to wake me to make me stop. Doing some reading and I think I may not be producing enough of a horemone that basically paralyzes us while we sleep. You can dream that you're running but you don't actually move. Well, sometimes I do.

Anywho, I asked my Doctor about it and he tried giving me a pill (can't remember what he called it). He said it was not addictive and was what they used to give women for depression and it was only one quarter strength, it might put me in a deeper sleep. Holy crap! I slept OK, but then my brain still would feel right until some time in the afternoon the next day. Cut them in half and I'd start feeling normal around 10 in the morning. Finally stopped taking them entirely because they didn't seem to suit my problem but, Holy Crap! That used to be the treatment for depression????? At full strength those women must have been comatose!

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 27th 2014, 10:49 am

Fowler wrote:In recent years, I've started twitching in my sleep.  I might be fine for a few months and then have a couple of bad weeks.  Makes it hard for wifey and of course it breaks up my sleep too because she has to wake me to make me stop.  Doing some reading and I think I may not be producing enough of a horemone that basically paralyzes us while we sleep.  You can dream that you're running but you don't actually move.  Well, sometimes I do.

Anywho, I asked my Doctor about it and he tried giving me a pill (can't remember what he called it).  He said it was not addictive and was what they used to give women for depression and it was only one quarter strength, it might put me in a deeper sleep.  Holy crap!  I slept OK, but then my brain still would feel right until some time in the afternoon the next day.  Cut them in half and I'd start feeling normal around 10 in the morning.  Finally stopped taking them entirely because they didn't seem to suit my problem but, Holy Crap!  That used to be the treatment for depression?????  At full strength those women must have been comatose!

Have you tried transdermal (through the skin) magnesium (not epsom salts...it is a different form) for your twitching? One brand is Ancient Minerals. It might help. There would be a whole lot less side effects (virtually none) and not severe/life threatening, that is for sure!
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler March 27th 2014, 12:40 pm

Hmmm, worth looking into. Thanks!

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 27th 2014, 1:02 pm

You're welcome. I hope it helps.

It is magnesium chloride, just to give you a bit more precise information.

I became interested when someone on an online workshop was speaking about the book "The Magnesium Miracle." The author (a nurse) mentioned unexplained twitching as possibly being a symptom, as I have some off and on in one hand.

I had been referred to a neurologist before learning of this. He should not be a doctor. He could not speak english, had no good communication skills at all, had a dirty, messy office, and after a lot of prodding and demanding & making me feel very uncomfortable, did not believe that I had a problem. He told me that I was making it up. He did no real tests either. Sad He was a real odd ball. So, after going home, I decided that I'd just live with it. It didn't hurt, but after twitching for up to 3 min., my hand felt like it had been through a long marathon. I had recorded it on video too, but that was after I saw him. I cannot twitch the hand on purpose like he wanted. Grr...

The people who promote this form of magnesium claim that most people in North America are deficient in it and deficiency appears in many forms. I understand that it is a treatment for some medical conditions. You can also find it in first year nursing textbooks. This author was told to stop treating her patients and let the doctor do the diagnosing or she would lose her job. She said that she could not just stand by when she knew the problem and could save lives.

Interesting how when something really works and doctors cannot make more money on someone, and also when they get shown up by anyone, that they get upset...
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 27th 2014, 1:21 pm

Doctors have never been know as being progressive.

Resistant to washing hands between patients (back in the day)
chemotherapy which didn't work in 1970 still given exactly today

The Physician Culture and Resistance to Change
Richard L. Reece, MD, January 3, 2008
"It's hard to imagine how unsystematic and data-free most healthcare is today and how hard the existing culture of care resists the intrusion of process-based data." George Halvorson, Chairman and CEO of Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Hospitals, Health Reform Now! John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2007

In the post-war era, there was a pronounced trend towards state intervention in the establishment of universal public healthcare systems in market-based advanced industrial countries. This movement was particularly marked in Western Europe, but was also evident in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. However, organised medicine often opposed this development, worrying that its closer proximity to the state through changes in payment systems might, over time, reduce physician income and diminish professional autonomy. Between 1960 and 1968, there were a total of eight doctors’ strikes in response to the state’s increased role in healthcare.1 Two of the most sustained and threatening strikes occurred in Canada and Belgium. In 1962, Canadian doctors organised a twenty-three-day strike, while two years later, Belgian doctors launched an eighteen-day strike. In both countries, these strikes re-shaped the subsequent design of universal healthcare, preserving the centrality of a fee-for-service contractual model of physician engagement with patients and the state as opposed to a salaried-employment model. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3066667/
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 27th 2014, 1:26 pm

Ooptec, they still don't wash hands often. I remember a report on that not all that long ago. It wasn't just back in the day. Yuck!

I guess that we also have to remember that they are, after all, are just "practicing." Everything is an experiment.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down