Pondering an idea

Go down

Pondering an idea

Post by Sweetened on April 1st 2014, 1:27 pm

So I've been rolling around an idea, mulling it over and thought I'd toss it out there.

There are plenty of people out there who are damn near (or far surpassed) the only good breed is a pure breed, and that goes for anything. Then there are others who have a hodgepodge mix of animals that do wonders for their purposes. Personally, I value each animal as an individual, and I'm fine with running mixed breeds as well as pure and such.

What about a breedless Archive. It would be like a registry, however would be more for historical purposes and references. This could be efficient if, for example, a milk cow isn't producing exactly what you'd like, but you can't afford or aren't interested in something pure bred, a meat cross wouldn't work, but someone has been breeding their own line of mut cows with great success with just the attributes you want. Well, you wouldn't know anything about it because it's not in an archive or registered. Same for meat bucks for example. You have a wonderful boer or savannah line that's just missing a liiiittle something that you cannot find where you currently have access, but someone nearby has a meat cross buck that's everything you need it to be and what it isn't that you don't like, you can breed back out. Maybe someone new wants something that's just hardier in their area, whether it's pure or not, and to know it's been raised a certain way or for certain things.

Thoughts?

Live like you'll die tomorrow, farm like you'll live forever.

Steadfast Farm
Sweetened
Admin

View user profile http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Pondering an idea

Post by Davinci on April 2nd 2014, 3:31 am

Well. Hmm? Also pondering.

I guess I am unclear what you mean by an archive. I know what you mean by breedless.

I think I can see some usefulness in areas, let's say the northern part of a province, compiling a list of long standing, locally developed crosses. Crosses that locals have known about and utilized for various reasons. Of course, how does one find out and document these things? But references to what other people have done, what they hoped to achieve and whether or not they achieved it would be interesting. Is that an archive?

For example: my father (and business associates) imported Chianina in the 70s. They knew what they were about in Italy, what they were used for and what they excelled at. They were used for milk, as oxen to work and for meat. Here in Canada there was no question that we had better milkers, and very few of us worked with oxen anymore. Meat production was the aim and so the creative crossing began.

THey were crossed with anything that would hold still long enough to be AIed. Angus, Brown Swiss, Hereford, Murray Gray, Santa Gertrudis, Limousin, Blonde d'Aquitaine, Simmental, Brahma...you name it. They all produced calves with varying qualities. For example, the Brown Swiss crosses made the most beautiful cattle I've ever seen. Gorgeous. Santa Gertrudis crosses were bat shit crazy insane, could run like a gazelle and leap over high fences like a horse. And the Brahma crosses made monster rodeo bucking stock.

The United States set to work developing a cross that is now a fixed and registered breed, the Chiangus. That would be a Chianina X Angus, at least the name tells you where it came from. But they breed true now, no longer a need to start with the parent cross.

An archive of what happened, and why they fell out of favour (several reasons) would be interesting to have. Well. I have one, It's in the basement and represents many years of my mom's diligent scrap book and record keeping.

Sweetened, I think this documenting of regional livestock development might be a very interesting undertaking. Just how much spare time do you have?

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened on April 3rd 2014, 1:56 pm

To answer your question: Nope, I don’t have lots of time, LOL.

I refer to it as an archive rather than a registry because a registry takes payments to document something and provide a service back in the form of registration, whereas an archive is a database of information. In order to access some archives, a membership fee is levied and access is provided for a year or a lifetime.

I figured the archive could be accessed and viewed by anyone who wanted to pay a small fee per year (say, $10 to browse). Those who want to contribute to the archive would have a yearly subscription that would allot them their own username, password and folder to which they would have access to upload their documentation, photos and whatnot as it pertains to the archive and not as a personal dumping ground.

This would be easily done via an FTP site (file transfer protocol). The yearly membership fee would cover the cost of the FTP site (which charges per unit of data). Any monies over and above the cost at the end of the year could be put into, say, the creation and distribution of a magazine featuring the contributing members’ best stock (in their opinion) and some related articles or goingson or whatnot.

I think documenting things like what your father did are very important. Every breed we have today was derived from mutts that were carefully bred for use as required by the local human population. Many are frowned on for running mutts or “breeding willy nilly”. Sure there are people who breed whatever to whatever without cause or reason. I’ve done it this year for convenience and lack of access, however I have also used it as a learning experience. It doesn’t mean project animals aren’t significant today and historically.

Live like you'll die tomorrow, farm like you'll live forever.

Steadfast Farm
Sweetened
Admin

View user profile http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down