Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every Other Day

5 posters

Go down

Every Other Day Empty Every Other Day

Post by ooptec June 8th 2014, 11:37 am

Now been and has been raining every other day. Add to that low single night time temps.

Extended forecast looks like rain might lay off after next week, but cool temps continue.

Barely managing to hand pick weeds in the rows, hoeing is outta the question so wet.

Behind on firewood and fencing

A lot of farmers have a lot of seeding yet to go.

Duckies from my 'bator as well as berg's and lone goosette are outside in pen tho, growing like mad, could turn the bigger ones loose, but wait till the tykes catch up. They grow faster in a pen anyways it seems. still 4 goose eggs in 'bator and been collecting guinea eggs in ones and twos that have been adding to 'bator

Cornish X chicks and keets got from berg's are doing very well. Lost one chick and one keet. Keet from wry neck. Think something is missing from starter so would like to get some liquid children's vitamins to add to water as have had deformity probs before after hatching out hale and hearty keets but developed later. Will open hole in brooder so they can start exploring rest of juvenile section of coop.

2 earliest goosettes that were adopted are now almost as big as the adults and feathering out. 2 turkey hens are broody, one is on a couple eggs, one not, but didn't have good luck w/them in 'bator. Only one outta 6 hatched and it died in a couple of days from omphalitus

Slow wet cold season so far here

cheers
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Every Other Day Empty Re: Every Other Day

Post by Davinci June 9th 2014, 12:04 am

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Hope it dries up soon, but typically, it will come on hot too fast and everything will go into shock, you included!

When I have chicks with problems, I poke a cod liver oil capsule and put a drop right in their mouth, or smash some into their starter. It has served me well and I keep a bottle just for chicks!

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened June 10th 2014, 12:40 pm

We have dried up quickly here, I think because we weren't saturated from the snow. I have, however, found my corn and squash are NOT germinating well at all. Some corn is up, but most of it isn't. My squash are usually up by now, and only 10% or so is. =/ So much for the second and third garden!

We have two hens that have been broody for 3 weeks, but because of my rooster pen being occupied, I can't let them hatch anything right now. Crappy because I can't manage to break them.
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec June 10th 2014, 7:36 pm

Yea, had probs germinating vine crops in garden last year so started them inside, good thing too, still inside but is colder this year than last.

Do you soak your corn seeds overnight? Noticed today corn sprouted well but turning limey green from cold and wet
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog June 11th 2014, 9:26 pm

Temps are all wacked it seems ? Cold and wet , spring was way late ! then warm temps ........more rain so it's all to wet , then cold temps again ?? Most people are experiencing all sorts of issues this year ...............sucks !
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler June 12th 2014, 9:51 am

We had a few days of hot weather. Nice but unseasonal. I had just planted my garden too. Looks like they're doing good now but it was a rough first couple of days.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum