Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have a garden started?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone have a garden started? Empty Anyone have a garden started?

Post by niglefritz May 12th 2015, 9:41 am

Yes, here I am, after 5 years, going to be doing a large...um...I mean LARGE garden this year. I will be battling grass and weeds like crazy in a new garden and do I remember that. I hate weeding with a passion. Ugh. Shocked

I bought a tiny bit of tomato seeds. I thought that I bought more. Well, so I dug out my old seeds. They will never sprout anyway, I said and planted a bunch. Oh boy, was I WRONG. I now have 52 up and kind of hoping the last two don't sprout.

If I remember correctly, these tomato plants spread like crazy (I plan on heavy trellises this time) and produce like nothing I have seen.

Anyone want sicilian saucers or black krim? Twisted Evil Be warned...

On a more even keeled note, most of my other seeds are up nicely and are in much more moderate numbers. I am waiting for only a few more to go.

I will be transplanting my heritage crystal apple cucs from Australia into larger pots today. They are big already.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a garden started? Empty Re: Anyone have a garden started?

Post by Peppygal May 12th 2015, 11:01 am

I don't know what to do for a garden. I can't seem to get much to grow here and what does grow the deer enjoy. Maybe I need to get my soil tested and a dog who doesn't sleep all day. I'll try to get a few things planted for fresh eats this summer, but now that I have free range chickens, I'll have to find a spot they don't venture to:)

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz May 12th 2015, 11:31 am

Have you tried any hardware cloth or something of that sort to arch over your rows? That might help protect from nibbling deer and chickens.

Do you have access to well rotted manure? That might help your garden grow.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by DieterD June 28th 2015, 10:02 am

We decided to not actually plant a vegetable garden this year. We are moving the old raised bed garden to another area of the yard. I cleared more bush this spring and am in the process of putting in a bird garden. Most of the plants are in, but a lot more work is required.

Almost half of our roses in the rose garden had major issues over the winter. It seemed like they would have to be replaced, but are now in the process of sending up new growth.
DieterD
DieterD
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down