Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gardens .......how are they producing

+3
Fowler
Sweetened
prairie dog
7 posters

Go down

Gardens .......how are they producing  Empty Gardens .......how are they producing

Post by prairie dog August 28th 2014, 9:54 pm

Even though what little the wife planted didn't produce anything other then a few peppers ,tomatoes , I have seen some awesome looking gardens . So let's see what ya got , post some pic's , show off your produce
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Gardens .......how are they producing  Empty Re: Gardens .......how are they producing

Post by Sweetened August 31st 2014, 5:16 pm

I am the squash master and the only squash that produced this year were two volunteer hybrids... I will be saving seed!

Yours?
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Gardens .......how are they producing  Empty Re: Gardens .......how are they producing

Post by prairie dog September 1st 2014, 4:04 pm

Nothing really , the wife planted a few peppers and tomatoes which have given some ? but the rest of what she planted didn't have much of a chance with all the rain we had and no sunshine this spring . I have seen some awesome gardens , but a lot of people didn't even plant here due to the spring weather .What no pictures ??
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler September 3rd 2014, 7:58 am

Been a strange year. Haven't checked the potatoes yet but I'm not expecting a lot. Everyone is saying the potatoes are poor this year.

Two massive cukes. Lots of tomatoes. Looks like the beans produced good. Missed the boat on eating them green so I'll be picking them soon to dry.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy September 10th 2014, 9:53 pm

My potatoes are not that great. Tomatoes started growing very late. The ones I started from seed did so well, but didn't do well once planted out. As with many other plants that did so great indoors. My carrots are doing wonderful though. I like the idea of 'gluing' them to paper towel and then plant. I will do that next year. My gardens need lots of garden soil next year, because of pure sandy soil right now. I did put in mixtures of soil, newspaper and leafs and will do that again next spring. My herbs did wonderful though. The frost last night took away my last tomato plants. Not sure if the green tomatoes are still edible. Have to check tomorrow.
Sassy
Sassy

http://www.lpinemeadow.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady September 14th 2014, 7:17 pm

Sassy try to find people with goats and put their goat manure together with the straw straight into your garden...miracles will happen.

My garden was good...lots of tomatoes and hot peppers (in the hothouse not outside) abundance of potatoes and onions, zucchinis and spaghetti squash.
Beets etc except the carrots..whatever came up are very good..but more then halve never did anything.
Now only thing left are the pumpkins....they got touched with a wee bit of frost..and that killed the leaves, but not the plant...so I left them on there...now with the warmer weather again, they might still ripe on the plant.

My giant pumpkins are big...but not giant...however big enough to make a few kids happy (yes I always grow to many and give most of them away to children in town, love the happy faces.)

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler September 15th 2014, 12:58 pm

Ugh, looks like the tomatoes got late blight. Most started to spoil as they started to ripen. Wifey managed to salvage about half by making a green tomato pasta sauce. It was remarkably good.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz September 15th 2014, 4:33 pm

We got our first frost here this morning. I realized that we hadn't covered the tiny garden just before I fell asleep. I also said that just because we didn't cover this one night (we've been doing that for a week now), that that would be the night that it would freeze. I am so smart. Rolling Eyes

When we got up this morning, that tiny garden got a sprinkle of water as the sun rose. It is okay, which is good. It is the kid's garden (with a couple of things that are for me to make extracts with), and as much as they have been harvesting bits of tasty mosels for a while, there are still some tasty morsels left...that and a bunch of flowers still blooming like crazy.

Over all, their garden did well. I just want to enjoy it for a bit longer. It is such a pretty little thing. Snow comes soon enough. Next year...bigger and better!
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy September 17th 2014, 10:00 am

Chickenlady, I will have horse manure and that will work too , when mixed in with leafs and straw. I think the sand and added soil was just poor. Next year it will be better. :-)
Sassy
Sassy

http://www.lpinemeadow.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady September 17th 2014, 2:15 pm

Yes it will work...but if your soil is pretty poor..it might not the best manure to use.
Here a link to an interesting reading about poop Gardens .......how are they producing  461350045

http://www.garden.org/ediblelandscaping/?page=201104-animal-manures

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Journey's End September 19th 2014, 6:21 am

Our spring was 3 weeks late and it shows. The corn is in a race to ripen. The tassels are dying but the cobs aren't full yet. We got lots of tomatoes (late blight), beans, and turnips. The carrots are mammoth! I'll post a pic when I harvest them. The cukes did nothing and it looks like the pumpkin and squash are all leaf little fruit. I do have one pumpkin we figure is over 50 pounds though.

Journey's End
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down