Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Livestock Guardian Dog

2 posters

Go down

Livestock Guardian Dog Empty Livestock Guardian Dog

Post by Peppygal May 5th 2015, 4:36 pm

Hey there. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Anatolian Shepherds. I currently have a Pyrenees/Golden Retriever cross and I absolutely adore him, but he is getting older and is quite stiff some days, so I am thinking about getting a puppy this summer. I have been hearing good things about the Anatolians, but I have 4 small children, and I want to make sure they are a family friendly dog as well as protector of all my livestock. My current dog is perfect on both fronts. Also curious on the going price. I got my dog for free and now it seems people want around $500 for that mix, Anatolians are probably even more, just can't seem to find any in my neck of the woods. Thanks for any help:)

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Livestock Guardian Dog Empty Re: Livestock Guardian Dog

Post by niglefritz May 5th 2015, 6:02 pm

I can't help you there, but we are pleased with our Norwegian elkhounds. They are great on both fronts. Fully trustworthy. You do have to make sure they are pure, though. We have not been impressed with crosses with them. It changes too much.
Our first was free (she was certainly pure)...our second full elkhound will cost a bit too (have had some crosses here lately, not as impressed), but it won't be too much. If you are looking for a purebred...unless you are lucky to find a real one with pure blood w/o papers, it will cost you $1200 for a pup. Ouch. But we are starting to think it may be the way to go. Those dogs ate awesome.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz May 5th 2015, 6:06 pm

I can't figure out how to edit on my phone, so will fix this later. Just wanted to say they don't eat much, hunt for themselves and ARE awesome...not "ate" awesome. lol
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppygal July 28th 2015, 12:29 pm

Update: I purchased an Anatolian/Pyrenees cross. He is now close to 5 months and is so far showing no guardian traits. I'm sure my other dog by this age was but maybe I'm mistaken. He is a sweet dog and follows me everywhere like a shadow. He is already almost 60 pounds. He has fit in pretty well on the farm with the exception of my Guineas which are no more but not entirely his fault.

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down