Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to motivate

4 posters

Go down

how to motivate  Empty how to motivate

Post by blackdove March 21st 2014, 10:40 am

So, I am home schooling my son this year.  (I will save the rant on why for the General Chat area... lol)  He is in grade six and HATES anything to do with English or writing.  But, the route we went with is through an online school here in Alberta, and the cirriculum is intense to say the least. I should have explored other options when deciding on schooling last summer... but too late now.  

So I guess my question to other homeschoolers out there is... how do I get my 12 year old motivated to do the work?  Or is a big stick my only option?  lol  

It is the creative writing side that he refuses to do.  With all the horror in the world, will it matter if he writes poems and stories?   Laughing   My theory is - spelling and grammar and the basics are what's important, focus on that.  But, since we signed up for this schooling method, we have to finish the cirriculum that was given to us.  UGH.

At this point, I am wondering if my fight should be with the school, not my son...

HELP!!   study
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

how to motivate  Empty Re: how to motivate

Post by Fowler March 21st 2014, 10:51 am

Don't home school but our youngest also hated writing. We finally figured out that he thought he was bound by the boring examples they were offered at school. We had to get him to understand that he could write about his interests. Nobody will do well writing if it isn't something that excites them. Heck, he wrote a paper on how much he disliked writing papers.  lol! 

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by blackdove March 21st 2014, 10:57 am

Fowler wrote:Don't home school but our youngest also hated writing.  We finally figured out that he thought he was bound by the boring examples they were offered at school.  We had to get him to understand that he could write about his interests.  Nobody will do well writing if it isn't something that excites them.  Heck, he wrote a paper on how much he disliked writing papers.  lol! 

And that is the problem right there!  They pick the topics.  I spent a month last fall just trying to get him to write a poem about the ocean, because that was the topic he HAD to write about.  

This is genius, he can write on how much he hates writing!   Laughing  He will love that.
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler March 21st 2014, 12:30 pm

Does it say the poem about the ocean has to be serious? Make it fun.

I do love to swim in the ocean!
I do love to swim in the sea!
I don't really care for the motion
but it's the place that I most like to pee.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by blackdove March 21st 2014, 12:49 pm

Fowler wrote:Does it say the poem about the ocean has to be serious?  Make it fun.

I do love to swim in the ocean!
I do love to swim in the sea!
I don't really care for the motion
but it's the place that I most like to pee.

lol! 
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 21st 2014, 1:14 pm

Agreed.  lol! Ew.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 21st 2014, 10:17 pm

I agree with Fowler, the serious seeming nature of some of this stuff is daunting for kids. Get him to use dirty words (snicker, snicker).

I once spent the day at the ocean
Slathered in SPF lotion
The gulls sure did swoop
And oh all the poop
Made a yucky, seaweedy potion.

Your 'teachers' should be flexible, that's the whole point of homeschooling, to be an influence in your kids learning and to suit it to his needs, not to stuff him into someone else's box. But get dirty, like Fowler said.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum