Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring .... Finally

3 posters

Go down

Spring .... Finally Empty Spring .... Finally

Post by ooptec March 24th 2014, 2:26 pm

Yest found a goosie nest and transferred 3 eggs to 'bator

Today put one more in 'bator

Mark them and transfer to another 'bator for last 3 days. They lay onesies twosies so by the time get a load the older eggs are too old.

Tied 4 rubber bands top and bottom on each cup in turner to hold them in place. Made about 18 modified cups in the turner as the little motor isn't strong enuf to turn any more

Fingers crossed 28-31 days to see

Let goosies raise their own after 'bator is full. Hope weather is better bye then as too cold to leave alone till enuf that one will set. Foesn't look real good in long range forecast tho.

Hopefully can introduce 'bator chicks to what they raise and they can look after the works. They raise babies communally so fingers crossed there too

Spring .... Finally Gooseeggs_zpsd20db547
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Spring .... Finally Empty Re: Spring .... Finally

Post by Davinci March 25th 2014, 12:01 am

Ooptec, I have been hoping for goose eggs, would love to hatch gooses. But that males goose has turned into a serious turd. Today I found the girl goose with feathers torn out and broken, her beak skinned and bloody, her face bleeding. He is beating the crap out of her. She stands in the corner, back to him, looking cowed. I separated them and gave him a lecture about going in the roaster!

Is this normal? I have been noticing that his behaviour is escalating. I know having one alone at this point would cause goose heartbreak, but I also will not allow this kid of brutality.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 25th 2014, 11:15 am

I have an extra gander so have a couple threadbare scrapping. But none of them bother the females. Maybe a little feather missing on back of neck where they hold them to mount but not down to skin

What kind of geese is it? Maybe need a few more. My breeding flock numbers 9, eat the young after that

(T)op (B)ar (H)ives's in background

Spring .... Finally Bg3
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog March 25th 2014, 6:07 pm

You sure you have a hen and a Gander ?? sounds like two ganders going at it ?
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down