Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers

3 posters

Go down

Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers  Empty Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers

Post by Ballyrag April 5th 2014, 5:27 pm

Hi All

So I looking to find some info on the Canning/bottling and came across the pressure cooker and canner

I thought a pressure cooker was used for canning and found out later its not you need a presssure canner ? to get the temp. needed to kill the little bugs Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers  4266578427  so you need 120c of temp. to kill the germs/spores and a pressure cooked dont cut it ?

you need a pressure canner with built in pressure gauge

anyone heard of this or have i been doing this wrong for last bunch or years the one i use dont have any weights think it single setting so not sure of the pressure

check this bad boy at CT and its not good for canning cause it only gets to 11 PSI  Click Me

here is a food safety sheet   Click me

I think to much information can be a bad thing sometimes Surprised

Last edited by Ballyrag on April 6th 2014, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ballyrag
Ballyrag

http://www.karenwhiffen.isagenix.com

Back to top Go down

Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers  Empty Re: Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers

Post by ooptec April 6th 2014, 11:46 am

I always used pressure canning and cooking interchangeably, just in pressure canning it is in a sealed jar and cooking is in a non sealed container for immediate consumption.

But reading that food safety sheet that makes sense. I have one of those that mom gave me when she was downsizing but never used. So cooker and canner are different.

Can cook in a canner but can't can in a cooker lol

Search online, they make parts for almost every type/brand of pressure cooker/canner.

11 lbs in a dial gauge canner is what was given at my elevation (1800ft) for chili con carne and the beans will try next, but think it was bigger for fish

But going to the Presto™ pressure canning site says 11 lbs for gauged cookers and 15 for weighted for pretty much everything fish/meat but w/the gauged ones pressure increases for elevation but not weighted ones.

Doubt could get much for jars in that 9 liter cooker.

Tho as long as the jars were inside and got to and held correct pressure for correct time bob's your uncle

My All-American is 23 quarts (liters) and find is usually big enuf for a regular batch of 7 qts or 7 to 14 pints (stacked) If one was to buy one for canning I wouldn't go any smaller.

Can also be used for a still, remove pressure gauge and substitute flared copper tube w/a nut.
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers  Empty Re: Pressure Canners vs Pressure Cookers

Post by ooptec April 6th 2014, 11:55 am

Also have pressure canned pork liver pate´ and is still great 2 yrs later

(have a bad habit of makin' stuff but forgetting to eat)

Other things great to can are

Most fish, esp oily ones like carp, goldeye, lake trout etc that are so-so fried and are great smoked are also great canned, prob smoked and canned would be to die for.

Meat is great but would like to try corned beef. Like canned corn beef but not only concerned w/BPA(B) in commercial cans but corned beef cans are still lead seamed

ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady April 6th 2014, 6:13 pm

I can a lot, and everything in the normal canner, pressure canners are nice, but you can can in a normal canner just leave it a little longer.

To old fashion I think to switch over to the pressure canners.

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec April 6th 2014, 7:30 pm

Can pretty much everything except meat and fish in a regular or water bath canner.

Pressure canning is pretty much the same. One get them to pressure (like getting to boiling) then after one use you know the setting on your stove and leave it till done
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballyrag April 6th 2014, 7:55 pm

Hey

I also dont think you can get many jars in the 9L cooker was just showing it and that one only gets to max of 11PSI so around 116C at sea level apparently not hot enough to kill all bacteria, cooking for longer time is not going to work.

Now i never had any problems over the years maybe luckey i dont know

i just started this thread from new info i found, until yesterday i thought it was all the same  Shocked 

Check this link for pressure cooker FAQ-----Click the Link

I think i might just get a new pressure cooker anyway just to be sure
Ballyrag
Ballyrag

http://www.karenwhiffen.isagenix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down