Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heinz Baked Beans

Go down

Heinz Baked Beans Empty Heinz Baked Beans

Post by ooptec April 8th 2014, 5:35 pm

Been on a bean bender

Thought process was, BPA and now BPB in cans (same stuff that was just banned as a plasticizer in baby bottles etc.) Then thought of what I eat outta cans (not very much) mainly is creamed soups for sauces, coconut milk, sardines/herrings, corned beef once in awhile and ....... BEANS

Sorta my even too lazy to make a sandwich meal, put spoon in a can and a couple slices of bread.

But have made home made baked beans in a casserole in the oven and so-so on them. So must be the difference between the textures.

So thought would see if pressure canned like the store bought would make a difference.

But didn't have white beans. But had pinto so made a pressure canned chili con carne first (recipe separate post) and the beans in it were what I was looking for.

Went shopping in meantime and got some great northern white dried beans. and made a batch today

Exactly like heinz canned beans. Same thickness of sauce and texture. Dead simple recipe too

Canned Heinz Beans

Dried white beans - an average of 3/4 pounds per quart.

Procedure: Sort and wash dry beans. Add 3 cups of water for each cup of dried beans or peas. Boil 2 minutes, remove from heat and soak 1 hour and drain. Heat to boiling in fresh water, and save liquid for making sauce.

Tomato Sauce – Version 2:  Mix 1 cup tomato ketchup with 3 cups of cooking liquid from beans. Heat to boiling.

Fill jars (just) three-fourths full with hot beans.
Add a 3/4-inch cube of pork, ham, or bacon to each jar (if desired).
Fill jars with heated sauce, leaving 1-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and pressure process
Pints – 65 mins@11-12lbs

1-1/4lbs great northern dried beans is 9 pints

Heinz Baked Beans Beans_zps28eb214d
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum