Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I doing something wrong?

4 posters

Go down

Am I doing something wrong? Empty Am I doing something wrong?

Post by lanaire May 22nd 2014, 6:35 pm

by looking at these pictures, (well for me the plants themselves...)

they look like I am doing something wrong with starting these plants from seeds!! they sure look real leggy.... the ones in question especially are the sunflowers. huge favorite around here, but we have a horrible time getting them to grow properly. thought I would start them earlier this year, but doesnt seem to be turning out like I had expected??

and it makes me think, and pause because I also started my squash plants this year from seed, rather than buying started. so if I am doing something wrong, I want to fix it right now before I ruin those!! (they are way more important... its part of the winter veg I put up, which last year the squash dept was pathetic. was hoping to improve that this year)

Am I doing something wrong? Sunflowerseedlings

Am I doing something wrong? Sunflowerseedlings2
lanaire
lanaire

Back to top Go down

Am I doing something wrong? Empty Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Post by Chickenlady May 23rd 2014, 12:13 am

maybe not enough light? I never start pumpin or sunflower indoors...just in the garden...never a problem.
Actually I start everything outdoors, except my tomatoes

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened May 23rd 2014, 9:16 am

Your light isn't close enough. I used to have this problem with my tomatoes, but this year I had stronger seedlings. I put the florescent lights down ONTO the plants. It was millimeters over the dirt and then once the seeds sprouted I allowed the plants to grow until they were touching the light and then barely raised the light. My first year without them being leggy! Sunflowers would require intense light, might want to surround them in a white sheet too to help reflect the light. I read that advice here and tried both foil and white sheets (in my case, reversed feed bags) and the white sheet sure did work best.
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec May 23rd 2014, 12:53 pm

Mine are leggy like that till I start to move them outside during the days to harden off.

I put them in the back of the truck to protect them a little from the wind and start out in shade then add a little direct sunlight every couple of days.

The direct sun and prob better a breeze toughens them right up

I'm starting all the vine stuff (melons, pumpkins, etc. at least to the one true leaf stage before putting out aslast year was cold enuf didn't sprout directly in garden

Apparently the 'white' side of those plastic grain sausages (huge bag-tunnels) have one of the most reflective surfaces
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by lanaire May 23rd 2014, 7:25 pm

I had bought these little indoor greenhouses to start the seeds, the put it in the south side patio door--- never thought it might not be getting enough sun/light

I have a second one for outside on the deck, I put the squash out there today for some extra light. Next year I will have to rig up some sort of lighting....

I was shuffling them on the shelves and actually dumped all the leggy sunflowers on the floor and most broke. I guess that solved that problem :/ and I will just take my chances with them in the ground this year. BUT have a better chance at the squash not getting leggy now that I know about the light being my culprit

Last edited by lanaire on May 23rd 2014, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I love my phone's autocorrect :/)
lanaire
lanaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum