Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello to all

+2
Chickenlady
DieterD
6 posters

Go down

Hello to all Empty Hello to all

Post by DieterD July 20th 2014, 7:19 am

I saw an add for this forum on Kijiji quite awhile ago, and have been browsing around to see how it develops. Finally decided to register.
DieterD
DieterD
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Hello to all Empty Re: Hello to all

Post by Chickenlady July 22nd 2014, 1:15 am

Well that is about time then, welcome..very welcome.
Unfortunately it is a little quite here...would sure like it to be more active, but with more members, it will come.
Again welcome..where do you live? you farm?

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by DieterD July 23rd 2014, 6:42 am

It is very quiet in here. Thank you for responding.
We live East of Winnipeg.
We aren't farming at the moment, but we used to have a few pigs, chickens a couple of sheep and some wild turkeys.
I am planning on starting with chickens again next spring.
Eventually the plan is to open a bed and breakfast for our retirement years.
DieterD
DieterD
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady July 23rd 2014, 5:17 pm

Sounds good, B&B would be so nice to run, I mentioned it once to my husband, but he wasn't to happy about it...think he likes his peace and quiet.

I love chickens..really got into hatching them, this year for the first time...see where it ends.

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Whisperer July 24th 2014, 4:41 pm

Welcome.

I'm sure people are just trying to catch on things; I know I am.
Pig Whisperer
Pig Whisperer
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci July 28th 2014, 1:42 am

Hello! I pop in now and then. Should do more NOW and less THEN. A bed and breakfast sounds like fun, but also sounds like not retiring! I kick the idea round until I remember I mostly don't like company. OR cooking. Or cleaning.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by DieterD July 28th 2014, 6:07 am

Over the last 3 years we have been in the process of completely renovating the house and yard. If I get the inside finished this winter, we may do a trial run of the B&B for one or 2 clients next summer. A regular B&B is a lot of work, but ours will have a small twist to it. We will be catering to nature lovers (photographers, bird watchers, etc.) who also wish to have a quiet peaceful vacation. We are working on a number of gardens. Rose garden, Japanese garden, and have started to clear land for a formal English garden.  Eventual I hope to have about 3 miles of hiking trails. Lots of wildlife to see and photograph. In our setting, the customer would have all their food provided, except they would be on their own as far as preparing it. They would have their own completely independent kitchen, bedrooms washrooms etc and the use of the pool. If they prefer they can make use of a number of picnic and bonfire areas. Those that are more social, can also visit and interact with us.
   When we travel we have stayed at a number of B&B's, but occasionally would have enjoyed a more independent one like what we are thinking of opening.

Last edited by DieterD on July 28th 2014, 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remove repeated line)
DieterD
DieterD
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened August 4th 2014, 11:13 pm

Oh boy am I late to the hop. This is an awful time for many forums. Even a few I check in on that have members in the thousands are considerably slow. I'm sure we will pick up. Unfortunately, advertising is way down as well as Kijiji removes my ads. Last time they sent me a warning about blocking my IP Very Happy decided not to test it anymore.

Good to have you!
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz August 23rd 2014, 9:56 am

Hi, it is good to see someone else from MB on here. Like everyone else, life is busy in the summer and so I haven't been here much lately.

I find your concept for a B&B interesting. It is something that I toy with every once in a while for in the future. We need more space, & grown kids (ours are pretty young and busy yet...taking a lot of our time).

I have many ideas on what I would want to offer. I like researching the idea and dreaming about it sometimes. It will give us more options should the time come...then we will go with the flow and see what develops in the end. I would want it to be different than what is currently out there. I like doing things differently. I like how you are catering to a particular type of guest. I think that that way, you have a better idea of the type of people that would be coming onto your property, and it would be more in line with your interests.

I have wondered if having a working farm B&B would go over. I think that having a bit of help and teaching others how to do some country things/homesteading type things could be my thing. Depending on where we go, if there is some very interesting history to the particular area, I would like to learn about it and have that information available as well. Maybe use that in developing what I would offer.

I like the option of giving independence to the guests. I have mulled it over some, but would still like the option of dining with them. Like I said, we will see what develops.

niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum