Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funerals for $100 & Green Burial

3 posters

Go down

Funerals for $100 & Green Burial  Empty Funerals for $100 & Green Burial

Post by niglefritz October 17th 2014, 10:49 am

Shocked   Morbid topic? Yes, but it comes to all of us sooner than later and $100 rather than $1000s is nothing to sneeze at.

Years ago, CBC Radio ran a story about this as it relates to death & funerals in MB. My husband & I found the topic fascinating. It lead us to really want to pursue this when the time comes and so have looked into certain aspects of its. We have talked about planning for a green  family burial area when we buy more land one day. This is where no chemicals are used in the burial and the land is left looking natural. It would have been great to get a transcript of the program, but try as I might, I never found one through their site.

There are misconceptions and other barriers that would need to be overcome, but it can be done. The body doesn't have to get transported to a funeral home. It can be picked up from the morgue and taken home for preparation. A person does not have to have a fancy box (you can use only a blanket or build your own box...build it strong), you don't need to be embalmed (only N. America does this anymore), etc., etc. You don't need a headstone, but have to mark with gps. You also need a fence around the area and have a perpetual care fund set up for the area.

We were doing more thinking and chatting and talked about building our own custom boxes and perhaps building affordable custom boxes for others. We also talked of selling little extras such as special blankets if desired to go inside. I would be very interested in custom carving those boxes too.

I think with all the money saved, I would also personally want to get a memory diamond made if I could (I don't remember the companies names offhand). It is done from the hair and to me is a very fascinating and personal idea. I think this would be awesome rather than burying all those $1000s. Actually, to have a couple's hair made into a combined one while they are still living would be even better.

Have you ever thought about this sort of thing?

Last edited by niglefritz on October 17th 2014, 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Funerals for $100 & Green Burial  Empty Re: Funerals for $100 & Green Burial

Post by Fowler October 17th 2014, 10:53 am

First I've heard of it. I'll have to ponder this one. There is stuff I like in it.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz October 17th 2014, 6:03 pm

Do some research of your own online to see if you can find information on it in your province. Your municipality may not be the best place to ask either... thus the barriers and misconceptions. It is very difficult to find information. I imagine that could be because of potential losses to big business?

I know that when we did just general searches we found that green cemetaries and services like we are considering doing can be found in some areas of the US.

Nothing like full out homesteader DIY. Laughing From homesteading to homebirth to homeschool to...
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog October 19th 2014, 10:23 pm

I watched a show a few years back where they were doing services using a Minivan and the coffins were made out of high density cardboard , cheap funerals for sure ! In our area there are a lot of small family plots from years ago , most at the corners of fields or small plots in over grown pastures . I believe back in the day everyone built there own coffins , or a family member did , and until someone saw the profits .....well the prices have skyrocketed in recent years and the plot's are about the most expensive real-estate there is ..............at least it should be permanent ? .Being a carpenter I could easily build a coffin , but as you said in the beginning , just a bit morbid . There was a story of a fellow who thought that he would save his money and build his own as well , he did and it was admired by many . Then one day there was a fire and the garage that held his coffin burned causing him to have a heart attack ..........
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler October 21st 2014, 11:30 am

Reminds me of the Corner Gas episode where Oscar builds his own coffin then starts getting creeped out. lol!

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum