Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any indoor gardeners here?

4 posters

Go down

Any indoor gardeners here? Empty Any indoor gardeners here?

Post by niglefritz February 4th 2015, 12:40 pm

I like to try growing unusual things. I have tried a few different things outside and some unusual plants inside.

I have grown tomorillo, granadilla, passion fruit, star fruit, dragon fruit, pomagranate, citrus (not sure whether mandarins or lemons,  mango, pineapple, and some other things that I can't recall at the moment.

I will be trying sugar cane shortly. It is sitting beside me at the moment. Very Happy I would also like to get some seeds for a plant that has red sap. It is called a dragon tree. You can buy the seeds at rarexoticseeds.com. I also did a search for dragon's blood, and found a great article on the usefulness of the sap: dragon plant sap I also want to start a banana plant and a baobab tree even if it never can get big here.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Any indoor gardeners here? Empty Re: Any indoor gardeners here?

Post by Journey's End February 7th 2015, 4:03 pm

My house is usually too cold to grow anything inside. I do have two cherry tomato plants still producing, and I'm wintering a citronella plant.

Journey's End
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler February 9th 2015, 11:28 am

Our house is too dark. Person that built didn't plan out the window locations very well. No

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz February 9th 2015, 4:48 pm

You know, our house is fairly cold. I try it anyway and try to out my plants in the most sunny location...if they are fine with that. If it doesn't work there, I just keep trying new locations.

Fowler. ..oh how I feel for you. I said that when we buy a house, it will always have to have lots of windows. I have lived in a place that hardly had any windows and it was awful. I enjoy the natural light myself and like to look out. I don't care for dark places. They either feel creepy or smothering. Also, I feel a place that has no plants at all feels dead, especially in the winter. I find it depressing actually.

Have you ever considered installing sun tunnels in your ceilings to bring in more light?
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler February 20th 2015, 3:43 pm

I had to fix a leak in my sister's skylight once. After I got reading about them, I would never put anything like that in my roof. Sounds like they're just a leak waiting to happen.

Our problem isn't so much the number of windows as the placement. House is oriented east/west. Fair number of windows on these sides but most are in spots where you can't put a plant. No windows at all on the South side and I'm sure there is a special place in Heck for the person responsible. Any indoor gardeners here? 2206469521

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz February 20th 2015, 3:52 pm

I understand that sun tunnels don't have the same issues as sky lights...but never having had either, I have no experience there.

On a slightly different note, I finally got soil for my sugar cane. Soaked pieces last night and planted it this morning. Covered it with a garbage bag for darkness and put them in front of a vent. Growing them is supposed to be easy. We will see in 2 weeks.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppygal February 22nd 2015, 12:21 pm

Oh, I'm excited to hear how your sugar cane works out. I tried to do some researching on it, but couldn't seem to figure out how to do it here. Good luck!

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler February 23rd 2015, 10:08 am

Where the Heck do you get sugar cane in February? Question

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz February 23rd 2015, 12:27 pm

I found ours in SuperStore in the fruit/veggie section. I read that it is a part of Chinese New Year celebrations. This is the first year that I've ever seen it. The piece looked like a purple bamboo and was about 3 1/2' tall and 1 1/2" wide.

I have read that you can find them in Asian food stores. The best parts of the plant to get are the top sections. I have no idea what I have, but am hoping it works just the same. A local lady sprouted hers, so I am hopeful.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz February 23rd 2015, 12:32 pm

Peppygal, what were the issues that you were running into...lighting, soil...?

I never thought about it before, but I got some nut seeds for someone's snack bowl. I got raw walnut, almond, and hazelnut. I will see what I can find on these and try them too. Boy, I need more space...this experimenting could land me a strange, huge indoor forest one day.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum