Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone tried growing sweet potato?

4 posters

Go down

anyone tried growing sweet potato? Empty anyone tried growing sweet potato?

Post by crwilson March 10th 2014, 12:14 pm

Hey guys have any of you grown sweet potatoes in our climate? Im in Nova Scotia Veyseys has the sweet potato slips for sale but im wondering if its to late to start some from grocery store ones. Also any tips on growing them? im probably going to use black plastic around mine for extra soil warmth
Thanks a lot
Rick

crwilson

Back to top Go down

anyone tried growing sweet potato? Empty Re: anyone tried growing sweet potato?

Post by Sweetened March 10th 2014, 2:48 pm

There is a lady in Northern Saskatchewan who grows sweet potatoes, but she starts them well ahead indoors and they are on small portable greenhouses. I suspect if she can do it here, you can do it there! I wish I could offer more than just a "give it a go", but I think it's worth the trial!
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 17th 2014, 12:23 pm

We tried it. We started them indoors in Feb. If I remember correctly, they don't like to be transplanted. We didn't get any roots that we could eat, but it was interesting.

We just used what was from the store (Beauregard variety). I've seen them in Vesey's catalogue , but wasn't too sure they would make it all the way here. T&T in Winnipeg might have some too. I haven't looked at that this year.

I understand that in the Philippines they eat the leaves of the sweet potato...the yam leaves (totally different scientific name and plant) are poisonous. I am too chicken to try it, but they are supposed to be good and nutritious.

You could try growing them in tires...that might help warm the soil.

They don't like to be planted too deep. I don't remember about the watering needs...

Here are some bookmarks that I had:
http://www.moongrow.com/vegetable_planting_guide/sweet_potato.html http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/growing-sweet-potatoes-zm0z11zsto.aspx

Have fun! I will be over in fall for some sweet potato fries.  Smile 
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog March 18th 2014, 12:14 am

Been looking at this myself ? I see Vessy's sells the slips , but I also look at you tube videos on how to start them
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 18th 2014, 11:38 am

prairie dog wrote:Been looking at this myself ? I see Vessy's sells the slips , but I also look at you tube videos on how to start them

That is what we did too...

Starting them is soo very easy, but you are stuck with the store variety which are often not early season.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down