Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yogurt maker reviews?

3 posters

Go down

Yogurt maker reviews? Empty Yogurt maker reviews?

Post by niglefritz March 13th 2014, 4:47 pm

We are looking for a new yogurt maker. I tired the slow cooker method and it didn't work. I am not sure that I want to do the oven method either. There is also talk about lead being in the paint of crockpots (not sure if it is true, but why use it if there could be)?

We had an old Salton that (only) did 5 cups at a time. It died last time we tried to make sour cream...so sad it only went part way, then the plastic stunk...the chickens loved it...

Anyway, we have found some online. One was at Home Depot (only online), and the other was from online too (I can't post an external link...it would not let me).

We are wanting one that does a large amount at a time without much fuss.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Yogurt maker reviews? Empty Re: Yogurt maker reviews?

Post by ooptec March 14th 2014, 8:52 pm

My mom had one that was a jar inside a styro sleeve and then w/tin over that so the styro didn't get damaged.

I was a kid and didn't pay much attention, but I think you heated the milk in a pan to a certain temp, mixed in the seed and put it in this and left it overnight on counter.

Was good stuff, no power

Can you use store bought as a seed?
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 14th 2014, 8:58 pm

I've often wondered if a person couldn't make one in a Styrofoam cooler with a few jars of hot water for heat? If you can hatch eggs in a cooler with a light bulb, surely you must be able to warm milk enough to yogurtfy it.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 15th 2014, 10:43 am

If you cut styrofoam and glued together tightly around a qt sealer you would have exactly what my mom had w/o the tin covering. Then just warm the milk, add starter and wouldn't take up as huge a space
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 16th 2014, 11:19 am

Yes, we have used the store bought yogurt for a starter, and you can buy envelopes of the stuff from cheese making places as well. Of course, it has to have live cultures. You can divide it up into ice cube trays and freeze. When your starter starts to give less of a firm product, it is time to get new starter.

I read recently that if you want thicker yogurt, to use greek yogurt. We buy the higher milk fat content stuff.

We also use this to make the most awesome sour cream using the same process. Once you try this, you will never want to buy the nonsense that they call "sour cream" again. There is no comparison...have you ever read the ingredients in that? Ew.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum