Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greetings from PEI

+2
niglefritz
redmoose
6 posters

Go down

Greetings from PEI Empty Greetings from PEI

Post by redmoose March 17th 2014, 7:34 am

Another successful catch from your Kijiji ad here.

It's great to see this forum start up. There is a lot of great stuff out there but I always feel kind of left out in other forums where the posters are talking about what kind or oranges they will grow this season or about planting gardens in March.

Here's to lots of chats about how to prevent poultry waterers freezing and the feasibility of gardening in Zone 2!

redmoose

Back to top Go down

Greetings from PEI Empty Re: Greetings from PEI

Post by niglefritz March 17th 2014, 11:31 am

lol! That is funny. Yes, no oranges here. Rolling Eyes 

Hey...we have zone 2 here too (although I imagine it is more humid there) and our waterers freeze as well. We put ours closer to the heat lamp. I have heard of others using little heaters that are meant to keep dog dishes, etc. open.

Welcome!

niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballyrag March 17th 2014, 9:32 pm

Hey Welcome

Yea every day now we have to bring water down to the chickens, everything is frozen, chickens are happy

We might get to set our Veg. in by end of May if lucky

Big wave from Newfoundland
Ballyrag
Ballyrag

http://www.karenwhiffen.isagenix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci March 18th 2014, 12:51 am

Welcome.
I live in BC where you'd think I could grow anything. But owing to the fact that we live in a forest and no sun gets through the trees, I can't grow a damn thing. I keep trying though. And what does grow, the deer get. I am the only person in BC who cannot grow a zucchini!

I love hearing other's garden adventures and I get green, with envy! (that was a little garden humour there, in case anyone missed it Popcorn )

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by redmoose March 18th 2014, 6:56 am

niglefritz wrote: lol! That is funny. Yes, no oranges here. Rolling Eyes 

Hey...we have zone 2 here too (although I imagine it is more humid there) and our waterers freeze as well. We put ours closer to the heat lamp. I have heard of others using little heaters that are meant to keep dog dishes, etc. open.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess we're pretty fortunate here actually.  We're in Zone 5-6 so things do actually grow.  I used to live in Zone 0 (NWT) where the only thing which grew were mosquitoes - lots of mosquitoes.

I have heated waterers for my chickens.  They work a treat and have saved me a huge amount of time and hassle.  The novelty of breaking ice in water bowls and bringing out fresh water 4 times a day wore off about 2 weeks into winter. I gave in and shelled out $100 for 2 heated drinkers.  Money well spent.

redmoose

Back to top Go down

Post by redmoose March 18th 2014, 7:00 am

Davinci wrote:Welcome.
I live in BC where you'd think I could grow anything. But owing to the fact that we live in a forest and no sun gets through the trees, I can't grow a damn thing. I keep trying though. And what does grow, the deer get. I am the only person in BC who cannot grow a zucchini!

I love hearing other's garden adventures and I get green, with envy! (that was a little garden humour there, in case anyone missed it Popcorn )

Thanks for the welcome.  

As I wrote above, we used to live in the NWT where I successfully grew lettuce and ... lettuce.  Yes, that was it.  Others were more successful but with more chemical assistance than I wanted to employ.

It's funny how people associate BC with productive soils and abundant produce.  95% (rough guess) of the province is covered in trees and nothing grows there.

redmoose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened March 18th 2014, 9:58 am

Welcome welcome welcome from Saskatchewan!
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by blackdove March 19th 2014, 10:35 pm

Welcome from Alberta... also a zone 2 here.

I absolutely love PEI. I would live there in a heartbeat!!!  cheers 
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by redmoose March 20th 2014, 8:24 am

blackdove wrote:Welcome from Alberta... also a zone 2 here.  

I absolutely love PEI.  I would live there in a heartbeat!!!   cheers 

Thanks for the welcome. PEI is wonderful. We've only been here a few years and really love it too. We've eventually managed to get the home and land we were looking for, all for less than the price of a condo in Vancouver.

If your profile location is right, I know your part of the world a bit too. We used to live in the Northwest Territories and our route to the relative civilization that is Edmonton lay through Whitecourt. My kids loved it because of the great little toy store in the mall and the joys of toasting their own bread at Pizza Delight!

redmoose

Back to top Go down

Post by blackdove March 20th 2014, 10:33 pm

Yep, we are about 25 minutes from Whitecourt. Small world.

My husband is from NB and we spent some time in PEI on our trip home. Was the best few days of my whole trip. But, maybe I was just happy to get away from the inlaws for a couple days. haha. It was the end of September so we got a place right on the beach for next to nothing and it was quiet and just beautiful. I can't wait to go back, it has been too long!
blackdove
blackdove
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum