Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric fencing

4 posters

Go down

Electric fencing Empty Electric fencing

Post by redmoose March 18th 2014, 7:09 am

Any fencing experts on here?

I am planning on fencing in a couple of acres for a few pigs in the spring. Does anyone have a rough idea on what I could expect to pay for electric fencing? I am considering the moveable kind so I don't have one totally pigged up area but can shift them around a bit.

redmoose

Back to top Go down

Electric fencing Empty Re: Electric fencing

Post by Sweetened March 18th 2014, 10:04 am

If I'm not mistaken, you'll need to train them to the electric on a hard fence before putting them out on straight electric. Pigs push forward when in pain or something stops them, whereas most animals pull back. We will be training our pigs to electric, and will use wire/wire fence on the inside for the first couple days -- it only takes a couple zaps and running into the fence before the associate the fence with pain.

This is our first year though, and it's just what we've learned from a person we know who's been raising them for over 15. He says his pigs get it once or twice and never test it again.
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Whisperer March 18th 2014, 11:46 am

I put my dry sows and sows with young litters in the pasture. I use the plastic step in posts so I can easily change or take down the fencing.

Just stick around the paddock when you put them in, they'll learn quick. Never had one push through when they've touched it.

I put humane hog rings in all my sows as well. They will root up your pasture if you don't. Once a litter reaches about 15-20lbs, they will also start tearing up the ground. I have heard from other producers that if you put them in very large paddocks, the damage will be isolated to a couple spots.

I'm using Gallagher electric turbo wire and have had good results. I would recommend the 9 strand over the 6 strand as it will hold a better charge.

Pig Whisperer
Pig Whisperer
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppygal March 18th 2014, 12:13 pm

Definitely not a fencing expert but in my experience, training them to electric fence is a must if they are not familiar with it.  Two years ago my husband and I tried our first attempt at getting pigs.  We set up our area with electric fence, went to pick up two pigs, brought them home, opened up the crate (actually a dog kennel, but it worked), and watched those two pigs take off, full tilt, through the fence, never to be caught again Crying or Very sad  We are going to attempt again this year, but we are going to train them to the fence first and hopefully have some bacon in the freezer this winter Wink

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Whisperer March 18th 2014, 3:19 pm

That's awful, what ended up happening with them?

My sows are walked to the paddock from the corral, so they're usually pretty calm. They're used to me and their surroundings though so that helps.

The only time I'd worry about a sow bolting through the wire is if new sows are introduced to the paddock. There is always fighting among sows then to see where they fit in the group.

Pig Whisperer
Pig Whisperer
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppygal March 18th 2014, 3:33 pm

These weren't sows, they were weanlings. We tried for two days to catch them. We tried trails of food, quads and nets and yes, even border collies. Oh, it was quite a site. Unfortunately, they started rooting up the neighbors yard and my husband had to do away with them. It was not a good experience and it took me two years to decide to try again, this time better educated.

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum