Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Southern Sask

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Southern Sask Empty Hello from Southern Sask

Post by randiliana March 25th 2014, 2:13 pm

Just wanted to say hello from southwestern Sask, and tell a little about myself. I've lived all my life in Saskatchewan, and at that within the South West corner of Sask. I guess at times that's a blessing and at times a curse, you especially realize that when you return to where you grew up. I am married, quite happily with 2 kids, who I realize with SHOCK are almost grown up! I grew up on a grain farm, and helped my aunt and uncle out with their herd of cattle. DH and I moved around a bit, mostly working for various cattle operations before buying some of our own land and starting our own herd. A few years ago we moved back home and expanded. This year we are calving 240 head of cows out. Cattle are my life and one of my greatest passions, I enjoy being around them, working with them, and learning about them.

I guess I don't really think of myself as a homesteader, but when I look at the definitions and descriptions that float around out there, maybe I am... I enjoy growing a large garden, and put a lot of my own vegetables up, some years more than others, and I really don't worry about it if I don't fill the freezer. Of course, we do raise our own beef, pork and sometimes chickens. No milk cow, although I'd like one, I just don't have the time (or maybe that's commitment) to manage one properly. I usually have a flock of birds around, but fed most of them to the foxes last fall and am down to 4 Muscovy drakes at the moment.

In addition to those interests, I also enjoy horse back riding, and showing in hunter and jumper classes. Photography is a passion of mine, especially cattle and flowers. I also enjoy cross stitch, when I can find the time to do it.

So I hope to learn something here, show you all some of our lives through photos, and I like helping people with cattle problems when I can.
randiliana
randiliana
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Hello from Southern Sask Empty Re: Hello from Southern Sask

Post by Peppygal March 25th 2014, 2:47 pm

Hello from Northeastern Saskatchewan!!  You must be crazy busy this time of year.  Hope your calving season goes well for you:)

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by randiliana March 25th 2014, 2:55 pm

Crazy busy indeed! But loving it Exclamation . Every time I see a new one born, or get up and go right to sucking, or a new heifer figure out what to do, just by INSTINCT, I realize what a miracle it is! At least the weather isn't too terribly cold here!
randiliana
randiliana
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened March 25th 2014, 3:57 pm

cheers 

So lovely to have you. Glad you're here.
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 27th 2014, 10:20 am

randiliana wrote:I usually have a flock of birds around, but fed most of them to the foxes last fall and am down to 4 Muscovy drakes at the moment.

Yes, those foxes are quite pesky, aren't they? We lost a whole bunch of our muscovies last year to a fox. We still haven't got it. We are unsure where its den is and stopped seeing signs of it once our birds were in. We did manage to put our ducks in some enclosures to save what was left, however. It took whatever it could, including hauling off 1 hen and 2 drakes in 2 hours, in broad daylight while we were outside. Talk about bold. I guess they taste good and are worth the risk?
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by randiliana March 27th 2014, 10:46 am

We always have a fox den around, and I enjoy having them too. This is the first year that I have lost any birds to one. But this year we had way fewer gophers and such around than in the past years.

I did try to fence them out, but the mama was hungry enough to tear holes in the chicken wire. This year I'm going to try the electric fence netting.
randiliana
randiliana
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down