Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Firewood

2 posters

Go down

Winter Firewood Empty Winter Firewood

Post by prairie dog September 23rd 2014, 8:23 pm

So now that fall is almost here and the leaves seem to falling faster then I like , it's time for the annual chore of cutting firewood . Although I already have about eight cords at home , it isn't the best wood and will burn fast . Around here they issue fire wood permits in areas that have been damaged by snow , or fire and it seems that they wait a bit to long to open areas and the wood becomes rather "" aged "" and there fore burns faster . But I'm curious as to what different areas of Canada use for there fire wood .......................
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Winter Firewood Empty Re: Winter Firewood

Post by Fowler September 24th 2014, 8:52 am

Around here maple would probably be preferred. Not much elm around, since the Dutch elm Disease went through some years ago. White birch burns hot but fast. Not sure if poplar is worth the effort to cut it up. Maybe someone else has tried it.

I've seen people use some beech and yellow birch too.

When we moved into our house, the guy that had been there before had cut anything. Found spruce in his firewood pile. Never saw that before. Burned OK but also fast.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog September 24th 2014, 7:01 pm

Birch around here goes for around $250 to $300 a cord so if you're buying it ? not much of a saving , but it's mostly for the "" higher "" up houses who want it for there fire places . Maple and ash are also hard to come by here , it's mostly Jack Pine aka Black Spruce , sometimes Hemlock ,Scotch pine and occasionally Balsam and as in most places Poplar . Poplar if seasoned correctly will give great heat , but also a lot of ash , daily clean outs !. I have burned poplar with spruce and it sure seemed to get rid of some of the ash ? not sure what was going on but ? Was hunting some years back close to the Saskatchewan and the farmer was burning oak ? but that's all that grew there so ?..............
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Fowler September 25th 2014, 12:23 pm

I did do a Red Pine once. Again, hot and fast. Good for getting fires going though.

There is oak here and I'm sure some must get burned.  For myself, it is sparse enough that I would tend to leave it.  But, drive a few short hours south into Maine and oak seems to be more common than anything else so I'm sure they burn it down there.

I did burn two apple trees that I cut down a few years back.  Very nice.

Good to know on the poplar.

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down