Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please explain Homesteader Underground?

+2
Sweetened
Davinci
6 posters

Go down

Please explain Homesteader Underground? Empty Please explain Homesteader Underground?

Post by Davinci February 13th 2014, 1:35 am

Hub wants to know exactly what this refers to. Underground as opposed to...mainstream? Tell us your philosophy, please?

Sorry..have no idea why this is in the Livestock section? Not sure how to move it.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Please explain Homesteader Underground? Empty Re: Please explain Homesteader Underground?

Post by Sweetened February 13th 2014, 11:08 am

The Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance are two different projects merged into one. We chose to call it "underground" partly because it's not mainstream, but mostly because people who homestead generally keep it tucked away like a skeleton in a closet. It's not something city-goers like to talk about with other city friends because of the weird looks and awkward conversation it arouses.

I suppose we could just call it the Canadian Homesteader and Small Farm Alliance (CHASFA). I should change the name while we only have 4 members, perhaps Very Happy

Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Please explain Homesteader Underground? Empty Re: Please explain Homesteader Underground?

Post by prairie dog February 13th 2014, 9:53 pm

I'm sure that the member list will change once it's out there that it's here
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened February 17th 2014, 10:07 am

Maybe I should add a Rural internet column, since I've been down the past couple days!

Davinci, your question (which you deleted  Mad), was an appropriate one.  For those who didn't see it, you wanted to know what I defined Homesteading was over small/hobby farming.

One can be a homesteader in an apartment!  That's truly the difference.

Wikipedia wrote:Broadly defined, homesteading is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency.

If a person does things like knit, crochet or sew, can or dry food, maintain the family through homeschooling and so on, all those things are homesteading for the purposes of this forum. The small farm section, though it can have homesteaders within it, is a section that covers the land, animal and equipment aspects of the small and/or hobby farm lifestyle. Many small timers don't consider themselves homesteaders and so it is the opposite way as well. But together, there is a shared set of skills, wants and desires that I think most who join here could relate to.
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Davinci February 17th 2014, 9:22 pm

Yes, I did delete my question. I was afraid it was a bad question. I am feeling a little gun shy.

So, it is a philosophy as opposed to a strict set of criteria? If you live in an apartment, grow dill on your balcony and dry that dill in the window, you can be a micro-homesteader. Or if you live on 5000 acres and heat your house with a coil carrying water through your constantly heating manure pile, you can be an innovative poo homesteader. Am I understanding? It's about what you do to take care of your own needs that is not store bought? Yes? No? Close?

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec February 18th 2014, 5:14 pm

I personally like the 'underground' part as it differentiates us from the 'above ground' consumer class

Personally I have retreated to my paradise from being born, raised and worked mainly in cities starting from huge, to smaller and smaller till made the move to the country.

I am not as 100% self sufficient as I'd like to be, mainly power is the last sticking point, (and fuel) but if push came to shove could suffice right this minute w/o a few things that would be mainly comfort/convenience driven

cheers
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 7th 2014, 8:09 pm

I think "Underground" should stay. You are correct about those who do so hiding. I personally know only of a couple...some relatives, and us. Sad

I have recently found out that there are a few more in my area, but am unsure how much they would want to get together and learn in person. It is kind of sad, really.

It is ironic, that the only way to become self sufficient is to learn from others and learn with others.  Question 

I would like to organize a group who is willing to do this and make a face to face working connection. Maybe this will help bring some more people out from the "underground". Smile I am hoping...
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Back 2 Basics March 17th 2014, 1:19 pm

A person can get a lot of good ideas watching the Prairie Farm Report on the Rural channel ( that is what shaw calls it ) Alaska the last frontier is a great homesteader show. I believe it is on the discovery channel
I think the underground should stay as well, as their can be a lot of trading and cash sales

Back 2 Basics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down