Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gardening Myths

3 posters

Go down

Gardening Myths Empty Gardening Myths

Post by Fowler May 14th 2014, 8:05 am

Fowler
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Gardening Myths Empty Re: Gardening Myths

Post by Davinci May 15th 2014, 12:11 pm

I never knew that compost tea was actually a procedure done WITH SUGAR in special containers and then applied as a foliar feed.

Around here we make poo-tea. Manure stirred around in 5 gallons of water then dumped on the soil. To me my way makes some sense, but percolating compost with sugar? Forget it!

BUt I have heard every other myth repeated as garden gospel for years.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec May 15th 2014, 12:47 pm

Don't even bother composting. I think it is unnecessary handling.

Kitchen waste gets thrown out for the birds and very little is left. Maybe citrus rinds and onions.

Garden waste I chop up into 4-6in pieces where the plants were as gets harvested and just rototill in last thing in fall. It magically disappears bye spring.

I do remove tomato and potato plants but don't compost or re-incorporate into soil as they say that is where the blight etc comes from.

Have gumbo soil that gets concrete hard but prefer working organic into it to loosen up. Have the bottom garden that is gumbo but was a corral where they fed cattle for many years and has so much old organic matter it is fluffy. Top garden which is the worse Gets the coop's winter build-up of ashes/manure/straw in rotation. I spread it thick on all the gardens but same spot every 3 years only as is quite 'hot'. In between in top garden where the (potatoes and stuff that really spreads out is, like pumpkins, spaghetti squash etc.) I leave enuf room between rows so can get lawn tractor in then spread about 6-8 inches of straw everywhere. I have to mow the volunteer grain growth a couple of times but marvelously chokes out portulaca and conserves moisture. Also a nice bed for the melons to sit on. In fall rototill in for organic loosening matter.
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down