Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What have you started so far?

+4
niglefritz
ooptec
Davinci
crwilson
8 posters

Go down

What have you started so far? Empty What have you started so far?

Post by crwilson March 11th 2014, 3:08 pm

Hey everyone have any of you started your seeds yet? I usually have my peppers and tomatoes and celery going by now but this year I have fallen behind. Also with the never ending winter I have just decided to wait a bit longer, my plants usually end up spending a bit to much time in there seedling trays so this late winter could be a blessing. My plans are to start my tomatoes and peppers no later than this weekend though..
Good luck everyone
Rick

crwilson

Back to top Go down

What have you started so far? Empty Re: What have you started so far?

Post by Davinci March 12th 2014, 11:35 pm

Wish I could say I've started something, but the truth is I never start anything from seed. I buy bedding plants. The closest I've come to having garden dreams yet is to peek at my gladiola bulbs hanging in the tack shed and feel happy that the mice haven't eaten them.

I got a book for Christmas, gardening in straw bales. Asked my hay man if he had any straw and he told me straw was in short supply. So much for that idea, not that I am convinced it's such a good idea, maybe if you don't have any dirt.

Good luck, CRWilson, we are all itching to get our hands dirty.

Davinci
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 13th 2014, 1:31 pm

Hot peppers and eggplant are 3 leaf sections high. Will start tomatoes end of april as seem to do best for me when are about 4 in high at transplant. Find w/tomatoes that pruning them just after they start to make little wee tomatoes does the most for yield and early ready.

Sent in order to http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/ was $140 lol. Had a new radish, watermelon. Is white on the outside and pink inside. Also a few diff watermelon and cantaloupe that had very good results w/last year. Esp the cantaloupe
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 17th 2014, 12:10 pm

Davinci wrote:Wish I could say I've started something, but the truth is I never start anything from seed. I buy bedding plants. The closest I've come to having garden dreams yet is to peek at my gladiola bulbs hanging in the tack shed and feel happy that the mice haven't eaten them.

I got a book for Christmas, gardening in straw bales. Asked my hay man if he had any straw and he told me straw was in short supply. So much for that idea, not that I am convinced it's such a good idea, maybe if you don't have any dirt.

Good luck, CRWilson, we are all itching to get our hands dirty.

We did potatoes in straw...not hay. I think that we also just used potato peels with good eyes and laid them on the ground.

What resulted was an okay harvest. It wasn't a bumper crop, but still good. We could pick potatoes at any time without disturbing the plant...that was nice. Also, the potatoes did not go very deep, there was no sun scald and no digging/hilling. However, there were some weeds and there was a mouse who made a lovely nest (with babies) in the straw, and chewed on some of the potatoes since they were handy. Ick! I am glad that there was only one.  What have you started so far? 4266578427 
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy March 26th 2014, 6:45 pm

I've started early with my seedlings. Very impatient if it comes to gardening after a harsh winter. LOL So not sure if it all will make it until planting outside, but oh well. That's the risk I take. I have 2 kinds of melons, Tennesee Sweet Potato Squash (they are huge and I already had to re-pot them!) 3 kinds tomatoes, peppers, green curly kale, 3 kinds of cabbages, many many herbs, some climbing vines, 3 kinds of flowers, pumpkin.....anyway lots. LOL I went crazy. Also a very high bill from heritage harvest seeds. But I will have lots of seeds left for next year too, and with saving some seeds from what I grow, I hope not to have to buy seeds all the time.
My computer room changed into a green house, and running out of space with all the re-potting I am doing now. Some of the seedlings became small plants and need more room. Ai ai ai, what did I do to myself? LOL
Sassy
Sassy

http://www.lpinemeadow.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

What have you started so far? Empty Basil Basil Basil

Post by Plainsman March 28th 2014, 9:46 pm

I've tried seeding basil straight into the soil outside but never had them get big enough for a good batch of pesto. Planted 18 inside this week so I'm hoping for a bumper crop this year.
Nothing quite like fresh pesto!
Plainsman
Plainsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened March 28th 2014, 11:23 pm

BASIL! I didn't buy BASIL. Dammit all. I get lettuce leaf basil every year from HHS, but I FORGOT it on my order.

I have started nothing, and I usually start first week of march. I guess I don't want to fail at it again this year and have just neglected to start anything. This weekend, for sure, tomatoes and peppers get started.
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy March 28th 2014, 11:34 pm

My basil is growing well. Today I had to re-pot some more little plants. A few tomatoes, lots of peppers and melons. So much fun. Still some need to be re-potted. I'm surprised that everything is growing really well. Not too many stringy weird growing ones. My onions are strange and stringy though. Not sure if those will make it. But wow , the melons are SO big with huge leafs, 4 to 5 each plant. Scary. LOL Slowly the greens taking over this little room.
Sassy
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz March 29th 2014, 10:36 am

Sassy, have you given your onions a haircut? I know that they used to do this in the nursery that I worked at. I think that they cut them back by 1/2 when they did.
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy March 29th 2014, 10:50 am

No I did not do that. I will give that a try. Thanks! :-)
Sassy
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady March 30th 2014, 12:56 am

This year I am going to take it easy on my gardering, only tomatoes, we love growing tomatoes and I can process quite a bit.
So I started little over 80 plants...that and expanding my little orchard is all I do this year for gardening.
Most of our little free time will going into re fencing, going to keep a few steers for beef this year (if we can find a few for a decent price)

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 30th 2014, 2:56 pm

Prob a little early to start most things around here

We plant outside May 24th LWE

I have hot peppers and eggplant started. Might have been a tad early w/the eggplant. Not the peppers tho, they are SLOW

Prob start tomatoes and most the rest beginning of last week in aprl.

I like transplanting stuff that is 4 nodes or about 4-5 in high for least transplant shock and faster hardening

Edit to Add: always do wonderful basil from seed. For winter I blend it w/just enuf olive oil so it will blend in food processor. Then pack in little jars and freeze. Same w/cilantro

Oregano, parsley and thyme take one out of the garden inside and pot for winter
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened March 30th 2014, 11:16 pm

I always start planting first of may. I throw tomatoes in the ground as seeds, plant lettuce, spinach, carrots and so on. I transfer plants out when I just can't wait any longer.

Tomatoes and peppers all got started yesterday.

Say... what kind of pots do y'all do starts in?
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy March 30th 2014, 11:36 pm

I start in the trays, with organic soil. When plants are big enough, I re-pot them into those non peat pots that are ready to plant into the garden. It's easier and that way I'm sure I don't damage the plants. I wait until the last frost/last full moon before I transfer plants in the garden though. One year we got a frost and snow on the 23rd of May. Lost a lot of plants.
I seed outside half May, 3rd week of May. Just to make sure the sprouts won't get any frost.
Sassy
Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down