Canadian Homesteader Underground and Small Farm Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan

+6
Sassy
Ballyrag
Sweetened
Peppygal
ooptec
Chickenlady
10 posters

Go down

Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan Empty Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan

Post by Chickenlady March 30th 2014, 1:08 am

Hi, they call me the Chicken lady in town, so I thought I go by that name her also.
We live on a cute old homestead, about 6 mile away from our little town.
One of those typical small town on the prairies, we love it here.

I have a few goats, 50 laying hens (guess that is why I ended up with that name) and I we buy and buther one batch of 50 meat birds every year, 2 dogs (yea quite useless...they love the couch and sleep indoors) 2 cats in the house and a few in the barn..and a few meat rabbits.

We try to be self sufficient as much as possible...sometimes that works better then other times, but what ever we do...we do enjoy it.

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan Empty Re: Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan

Post by ooptec March 30th 2014, 2:51 pm

what part of SK?
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan Empty Re: Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan

Post by Peppygal March 30th 2014, 3:05 pm

Welcome Chickenlady.  I have a question for you or anyone else that can help me.  We are converting an old wooden grain shed into our chicken coop.  Everything I've read on raising chickens stresses the importance of ventilation with no drafts.  I do not plan on heating the shed since I've also heard that it is not a good idea.  The shed is 11x14 and I am getting 25 chicks, so I'm hoping there will be enough of them to keep it warm enough.  So my question is, how am I suppose to get good ventilation, with no drafts, yet keep my hens nice and cozy?  As you know these Saskatchewan winters can stay bitterly cold for long periods of time.  And also while I'm bothering you, what about lighting?  Should I put in a couple of windows?  I've heard that you should not use lighting or it leads to picking.

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweetened March 30th 2014, 11:10 pm

Welcome to the threads ChickenLady!

Peppy, there are documents and books entirely about fully exposed shelters for chickens. It is quite interesting, even in this climate some have had great success with it. My coop is pretty drafty up high, but they all do well and it stays a good temperature.

Maybe start a thread for people to show you their pictures!
Sweetened
Sweetened
Admin

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ooptec March 31st 2014, 10:46 am

If you are getting 25 unsexed chicks that means prob around 12-15 to winter. !/2 a coop that size would prob handle 50-60 or so mixed birds

If were I, I'd split the coop almost in 1/2 using stucco wire and 2 X 4 framing prob on 42 in centers (width of the stucco wire) w/a doorway big enuf for a wheel barrow. It can be smaller than the main coop side but big enuf for a couple of brooders made w/the 1 in square holes wire mesh and maybe a 4 hole nesting box for broody hens. This will be the baby/juvenile side

The main part put in more nesting boxes and the roosts. This will be the adult section.

I'd put a south facing window for each side if poss, or east if necessary.

I'd build 2 pens each separate and connected to their respective sides. I made frames w/2 X 4's measuring 4 X 8 ft and filled w/stucco wire and the pens are 8ft high and 16ft long on a side. Make the doors big enuf for wheel barrows

Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan Pens_zps6dadd7a1

I also use the same pen sections to form corners and a center brace, one center brace w/a gate big enuf for wheel barrow to fence off garden area. Stretch just stucco wire between the corner braces and staple w/the tiny fence staples. Then at end of season roll up the wire and unscrew the corner braces and easily move off to work soil etc for the next season.

FWIW
ooptec
ooptec
Old Timer
Old Timer

Back to top Go down

Post by Peppygal March 31st 2014, 11:09 am

Thanks for all the info! I also started another thread for this under poultry.

Peppygal
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady March 31st 2014, 8:51 pm

I have an old coop, insulated with woodchips..yes that old LOL. there are huge windows in there on the south side. in the summer it is mesh and in the summer we cover it with clear plastic.
I guess I don't really worry about ventilation, there are enough cracks and an old little chimney to take care of that.
Cold is not to to bad...although if to cold the chickens might eat the eggs..I think because they are warm..(but that is my thought.)
Chickens trow quite a bit of heat..I have heat light above the water though..because chickens need always water..lots of water or they quit laying.
They love snow too btw for water.

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady March 31st 2014, 8:52 pm

Ooptec I live Melfort/Humbolth area

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Ballyrag April 1st 2014, 3:03 am

Hi and welcome to CHUSFA

Ballyrag
Ballyrag

http://www.karenwhiffen.isagenix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassy April 1st 2014, 11:32 am

Hi there! Welcome to this forum. :-)
Sassy
Sassy

http://www.lpinemeadow.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenlady November 1st 2014, 4:27 am

Sorry, but I think I want to delete my membership to this forum, I can't seem to figure out what to do or how to do this.
Can one of the moderators do this for me please.

Unfortunately it seems that it is to hard to get a steady amount of messages and interaction, I keep looking everyday and never any new postings.
No point of being a member imo.

Chickenlady

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog November 13th 2014, 8:27 pm

It's a fairly new forum so as in all things it's a slow start . not sure what you're waiting for as far as a response ? It is slow right now and only with more members will it pick up . And now with winter here , people will have a bit more time to post ..................but it's your call if you want to leave
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig Whisperer November 25th 2014, 1:13 pm

Yup. It's slow but if people are like me, they're still trying to catch up!

For myself, I've been keeping busy with the pigs, selling my home, finding some land, and me and my gf just had our first child.... Smile Smile

Pig Whisperer
Pig Whisperer
Established
Established

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog November 25th 2014, 10:26 pm

Congrats ! life is about to change in a good way for you and yours , wish you two all the best , good luck finding your new location to call home
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz December 15th 2014, 12:13 am

I am so slow... Pig whisperer...congratulations...and may you have many more. Shocked lol Razz
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by DieterD December 30th 2014, 10:20 am

I see that there are only a few of us that come into this forum to look around. It is very slow. I guess it will stay that way and eventually become obsolete due to lack of members.
I am guilty of browsing much, but not posting. I am going to try to post and respond to others at least once a week. Maybe we can get this forum to come back to life.

I posted some new topics in the Livestock section, but posted here also, as this is near the top and might be noticed as a new post by some of you other browsers Hi from the Northern part of Saskatchewan 461350045
DieterD
DieterD
Settling in
Settling in

Back to top Go down

Post by niglefritz December 30th 2014, 7:10 pm

I would like to see the forum stay, even if it is slow. I don't know where the others have gone.

I don't want to be the only one posting, and I don't generally post answers or responses to myself, so there is only so much posting that I have been doing.

I say...post away!
niglefritz
niglefritz
Straight up Addicted
Straight up Addicted

Back to top Go down

Post by prairie dog January 5th 2015, 9:44 am

? was on everyday , seems to have gotten really slow as of the last while ............will continue to chreck in and see what is being posted , to bad if it dies I'd say
prairie dog
prairie dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down